Fuel filter- constant flow out fuel line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I removed mine to test fuel pressure I only lost what little was in the lines. Didn't even remove the gas cap.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m probably exaggerating but it was quite a bit lol. I was laying in mud (my board slipped and i said screw it get wet) couldn’t half see, then lost the new filter laying beside me. Yea i said a few choice words.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I’m probably exaggerating but it was quite a bit lol. I was laying in mud (my board slipped and i said screw it get wet) couldn’t half see, then lost the new filter laying beside me. Yea i said a few choice words.

Oh well in that case, it kinda sounds like you were not starting out real well, being in the dirt. I changed mine, while doing fuel lines, and getting to those fittings is a pain. I felt like they were too far away and too close at the same time. Thankfully they weren't really stuck. I must have put some anti-seize on the threads the previous time. The first time I did my fuel filter I got gas down my arm.... like all of it. That was in my parents driveway back when the truck was still fairly new.

I've always wanted a spin on fuel filter.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel constantly coming out when changing an under type efi fuel filter or disconnecting a fuel line is common for me. I know even taking a line off the low mechanical fuel pump of my 77 corvette with the front jacked up, fuel will start to flow so I need to have a plug ready. The C3 Corvette fuel tank is mounted kinda high compared to passenger cars.

Recently had to pump a tub out multiple times. If the water was higher, then the flow would be faster thru the cheap little pump cause of the weight of the higher volume of water. So depending on how full your tank is and also why I try to do filters when it's low and have everything ready.

Not sure if it's Capillary Action, Gravity, Siphoning or all of the above but I know that I hate to get fuel down my arm!

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fuel lines always siphon on mine (despite cracking the gas cap, pulling the fuse, and disconnecting the relay), the only way I've found not to make a mess is to crack the fuel lines at the tank first. (5.7L TBI, 25 Gallon tank)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The fuel lines always siphon on mine (despite cracking the gas cap, pulling the fuse, and disconnecting the relay), the only way I've found not to make a mess is to crack the fuel lines at the tank first. (5.7L TBI, 25 Gallon tank)

You drop the tank or lift the bed to change a fuel filter?

I don't know if mine flows continuously or not. This last time it did not, but I was doing more work and I think I had already dropped the tank. The time before that was too far back for me to remember :) I really don't like changing them because of the lines being under the truck. Once I had to replace the end of the engine side line as it was seized. I've actually had a filter sitting on my parts shelf ready to go, just didn't want to do it.

I was replacing the lines from the filter back with nylon. If I had been going all the way to the engine, I think I would have switched to the quick connect style of filter. I think the 3800 V6 used them. Since I did not make that conversion, I was sure to put anti-seize on the threads and between the tube and fittings.