Frustration: Are all replacement Interior kits generic colors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1995 Extended Cab K1500 White paint with Grey Interior. Per the label it's code 13I. I've been to the local paint store that sells SEM, no help. I've looked at ACC Carpets website, stock interiors.com and rock auto and LMC etc. They say light grey, silver, med gray and so on. I've ordered samples from stockinteriors.com. I realize that carpets and headliners fade and get dirty but it seems that no companies try to have an exact match??? I've had and still have a Corvette etc and they make exact matches for a model year and it's easy. Why is this so tough. I want to dye my plastics and replace my headliner and carpet an make my interior look like new in the original color. I know that some say it didn't match originally etc. I'm just asking is there any company that sells this stuff that is intended to match my RPO 13I interior color code??? I really think the companies would sell more if it wasn't so tough and also how many people receive the wrong color and have to send it back? Call me frustrated. I've restored old Corvettes, Chevelles and worked on Mustangs and other classic cars and such and it's always easy but for the OBS trucks, it's impossible to know what to order. Any help or success stories would be appreciated.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It may be because the dash, and other parts are painted even on OE parts. I find that the interior plastic paint is a very close match. I will have to look at what brand I have and what color it is. I had my headliner redone last year. About all I could do was pick a color of fabric the shop had that was close to what I had. Carpet should be very close to the light gray as well. The biggest issue I see, is finding OE seat covers. When I had my 93 WT 9 bought it in 99) I bought a custom seat from a local shop. Buckets, with a folding 3ed seat- center console. It was a perfect match to the fabric of the OE seats. I think the issue here is that there aren't enough people fooling with these old trucks, or at least that what companies think, any way.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your best bet for plastics may be to take a part from your interior to a local paint shop and ask them to color match that piece. They can get it close but, in my experience, they aren't going to get an exact match. For carpet and headliner if you cut a swatch out and send it to someone they can make carpet and headliner and get it pretty close to what you want. @sewlow could probably give you better advice than I, though.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. From stockinteriors.com, the closest carpet was called silver but it is a bit lighter than my carpet when checked against the carpet that was under by jack storage box (clean and not faded). The other next darker sample was darker. I wonder if I order silver and get it in a large piece will it be lighter than I want. I'm not make a show truck/restoration but I really like these trucks and I my seats are probably a 9 of 10 condition so I bought this truck thinking I could spend between $500 - $1000 on the interior and have an interior like new rather than buying a new truck at a crazy price. I just want to order a matched up headliner, sun visors and carpet that is semi close to the correct color for a 1995 K1500 gray. I also want to dye my interior or some of it. Most of it is excellent but the dash is a little worn and faded. Door panels and rear panels (extended cab) and A pillars are near perfect. Windows were tinted an not a lot of fade. I bought two grey colors of SEM spray and I haven't spray tested it yet.

FIREBALL 94

Bowtie enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I luv the sem stuff I’ve had good luck with matching up interior pieces. I got everything re-dyed to match my burgundy factory bench seat now it needs some luv, its wearing bad now on the drivers side fabric and I’ve had no luck in finding a factory cover replacement to match the doors .....

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fixed a couple of cracks on my dash this weekend. I used JB Weld. Once that dried, I grabbed the can of paint I have in my shead. Its Duplacolor plastic paint. Med gray I think. Its a very close match.