Front wheels won't spin, stuck brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your replys!
I read all the posts yesterday and panicked a bit because it all seemed really difficult, I've never changed or worked on brakes before but I want to learn, just don't have anyone to teach me around here. But I found a couple videos on youtube on changing rotors and pads for this truck and it looks really easy! I feel soooo much better about it so I'm gonna do it myself. I got 4 weeks of vacation starting on monday so I should be able to pull this of.
(I'll testdrive it carefully before taking it on the public road!)
New pads and rotors for both sides is about $385, taking it to a mechanic is about $1000, learning something new and usefull = priceless! :D

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's nothing really difficult about brake work. Avoid taking shortcuts and ensure everything is back in place and properly tightened before you quit.

If yours is a C ie, 2WD you will have the wheel bearings to contend with when you remove the rotors so plan ahead re having grease at hand, whether you want to wash them, replace or just re-grease, etc. Cleanliness is essential. If you have a K - I've no idea how they are configured.

Before you do much more, get some penetrant onto the bleed nipples on the calipers and ensure they can be opened. Open them when you have to push the caliper pistons in to avoid pushing dirty fluid back into the system towards the ABS unit. You will also want them free for subsequent and inevitable bleeding.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not including calipers? Seems a bit steep but I assume its at least OEM for that price?
I did mine not to long ago. I used Duralast gold pads and rotors. I didnt change the calibers, and I think it was around $250, so that price doesnt seem to far off. Everything has gotten so expensive lately. I need to do tires, but getting prices in the mid $800 range for 275/60-15s.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
shes in Sweden! something tells me these are not in the local parts stores. but I think shes guna need this stupid hex socket to get the job done. I was suprised that I did not already have the correct hex wrench the first time I worked on the brakes of my old 94 burb.... I was pissed and checked a few stores for a what a 9.5mm hex wrench? couldnt find one in any set of hex allen keys. I was pissed then I went to a parts store and found "gm brake tool" hanging on the wall. stupid MOFOS! they patented a hex size!

so a 3/8" hex might work but I'm sure it's a 9.5mm hex.

Al

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210707-121407_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210707-121407_Gallery.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 4

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
4wd trucks have a sealed hub that the rotor sits on. And yes you will need that 3/8" hex bit socket. If it was a newer series truck, like the 2000--06 models, those use a Torx T55 bit. Broke one of those trying to get the bolts loose on Dad's 06 Yukon XL Denali a few years ago. I think whoever worked on the brakes before put everything back together dry and dirty.
As said before, you want to be sure and clean all the parts with brake cleaner (which doesn't have oil in it). There's a special type of grease that you use on brake hardware, and you want to use that.
There's several threads in the axles and brakes section that deal with front brake service. I posted on the "what did you do to your GMT400 today?" thread in June of last year when I replaced the front pads on my 99 C1500 Burb. I'll see if I have any pictures from that job......
Edit, just checked and I don't. Must've been on my old tablet, sorry!
This isn't a hard job,you just have to take your time and pay attention. The 4wd trucks are a little easier since you don't have to mess with the bearings. That's the messiest thing about this on the 2wd trucks. Good luck!

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
shes in Sweden! something tells me these are not in the local parts stores. but I think shes guna need this stupid hex socket to get the job done. I was suprised that I did not already have the correct hex wrench the first time I worked on the brakes of my old 94 burb.... I was pissed and checked a few stores for a what a 9.5mm hex wrench? couldnt find one in any set of hex allen keys. I was pissed then I went to a parts store and found "gm brake tool" hanging on the wall. stupid MOFOS! they patented a hex size!

so a 3/8" hex might work but I'm sure it's a 9.5mm hex.

Al

It's 3/8".... why are you making it difficult?

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Like @thegawd said, I live in Sweden and while US car/truck parts are cheap to us, especially if you have a friend who imports said parts for a living since taxes are deductible for companies here, there is still custom fees (22%) and shipping cost ($$$$$).
These prices are from a local company that actually keeps alot of these parts on the shelf but they get more expensive since we (the consumer) have to pay taxes at 25%. The way things are right now doesn't help either, parts are hard to find and if you find them the prices have gone up ALOT. Shipping is insane, costs a small fortune and takes forever to get here.

@Pinger It's a 4x4 and from what I've seen you don't need to do anything with that, at least nothing that is brake related. I will take my time and do it carefully, I don't want to die or kill someone for that matter. :) Thanks on the tip about the bleed nipples.

@red98 No caliper, those are an additional $215 each... so I'm hoping I don't need them! :oops:

@thegawd I actually have a whole set of US-sized hex wrenches. The videos I watched said 3/8" hex socket so (hopefully) I'm good.
3/8" is 9,525mm so you're probably right on that, odd size to us metric peoples. :)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Like @thegawd said, I live in Sweden and while US car/truck parts are cheap to us, especially if you have a friend who imports said parts for a living since taxes are deductible for companies here, there is still custom fees (22%) and shipping cost ($$$$$).
These prices are from a local company that actually keeps alot of these parts on the shelf but they get more expensive since we (the consumer) have to pay taxes at 25%. The way things are right now doesn't help either, parts are hard to find and if you find them the prices have gone up ALOT. Shipping is insane, costs a small fortune and takes forever to get here.

@Pinger It's a 4x4 and from what I've seen you don't need to do anything with that, at least nothing that is brake related. I will take my time and do it carefully, I don't want to die or kill someone for that matter. :) Thanks on the tip about the bleed nipples.

@red98 No caliper, those are an additional $215 each... so I'm hoping I don't need them! :oops:

@thegawd I actually have a whole set of US-sized hex wrenches. The videos I watched said 3/8" hex socket so (hopefully) I'm good.
3/8" is 9,525mm so you're probably right on that, odd size to us metric peoples. :)
Wow! When I bought the calipers for my Burb in 2018, they were about $30 each ( I think). Glad I am not paying y'all's prices! GM used the 3/8" hex bit on their disc brakes for many years. Then when they went metric, they changed to the Torx stuff.