Front wheels won't spin, stuck brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
My truck has been parked for about 2 years now and I think the brake pads are rusted stuck to the rotors.
I jacked the front up (both wheels of the ground) and tried spining them and they won't move one bit. Also tried with trans in neutral if the 4x4 somehow affects it but nope. Anything else stoping them from spining when the truck isn't runing? I haven't started the truck since I parked it about 2 years ago and I wanted to get some opinions before in case I destroy something...

But as impatient as I am, I've drenched them in CRC 5-56 (same as WD40) hoping it'll help. I'm a bit worried I might break something if I just try to drive it. It's standing on grass and dry mud so there wouldn't be alot of resistans, but still...

What do y'all think if I keep feeding it 5-56/WD40 for a few days and then try to drive/move it?
If not? any tips on what to do?

While hoping for some good tips I'm gonna go take one of the wheels of...

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To fix it rite and do no more damage, pull off the tires, then pull off the brake calibers, and rotors. See if you can have the rotors turned, if not then they will need to be replaced. Also see if the caliber pistons are stuck. If so, then they will need to rebuilt or replaced. Also once you pull off the calibers, since you in there anyway, check the wheel bearings. If they are good, if so, then just replace the seals and repack the bearings. Now the next thing, is to check the rear brakes. Pull the tires,and drum and have a look inside. The last thing you want to do is get on the road and you cant stop the truck.

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've just been through this with a smart that sat outside for over a year in Scotland. Once the caliper is opened up the pad will come off the disc quite easily - it just won't let the disc turn.
I also had enough corrosion on one of the discs for it to stick to the caliper frame.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a big pain getting my caliper removed with just a groove in the rotor, but perhaps there was an easier way.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a big pain getting my caliper removed with just a groove in the rotor, but perhaps there was an easier way.
You have to push the caliber piston in to give you slack so you can easley remove the caliber. You may need to loosen the bleed off nipple to allow the brake fluid to flow freely, but tighten it back after you push the piston back some. Also if you loosen the bleed off, you will need to bleed the brakes once everything is back together

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest way to push the piston in is to slide the caliper across (towards the outside) then centralise for removal. As per KTW's suggestion - open the bleed nipp first.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has been parked for about 2 years now and I think the brake pads are rusted stuck to the rotors.
I jacked the front up (both wheels of the ground) and tried spining them and they won't move one bit. Also tried with trans in neutral if the 4x4 somehow affects it but nope. Anything else stoping them from spining when the truck isn't runing? I haven't started the truck since I parked it about 2 years ago and I wanted to get some opinions before in case I destroy something...

But as impatient as I am, I've drenched them in CRC 5-56 (same as WD40) hoping it'll help. I'm a bit worried I might break something if I just try to drive it. It's standing on grass and dry mud so there wouldn't be alot of resistans, but still...

What do y'all think if I keep feeding it 5-56/WD40 for a few days and then try to drive/move it?
If not? any tips on what to do?

While hoping for some good tips I'm gonna go take one of the wheels of...

Looks like she needs a brakejob - I think I did pads calipers and rotors on my 98 for like $150.

Make sure the rear brakes are at least useable, and the hydraulics are full of fluid, and change the fronts out, I bet it'll be just fine.

If its like your 10th truck and you have other stuff to drive, and don't wanna spend money, I'd just drive it around the yard and the driveway a bit and see if the fronts will break loose on their own, but if you plan to take it on the highway or depend on it at all, probably just do a brakejob.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would have been tempted to just reach in and gently pry the pads away from the rotor, just enough to crack 'em loose, before spraying anything in there that would contaminate the pads or rotor surface. That's me though.

Richard