front shocks for k2500 suburban HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hello
i bought a set of bilstein 4600 and i'm not pleased with the front ones.
the car just loses traction on every pot hole.
(btw their mounts were too wide so i had to trim them).

my car is 8600 gvw.
what other shocks are recommended?
How was the ride before you changed to the Bilsteins? What did you have before? Is this a vehicle you just acquired? Are you overseas?

What do you mean the mounts were too wide?

I have a 06 GVWR 8600 lb SUV. Bought last year. I changed the rear to some "heavy duty" Monroe rears and front to Gabriels from RA. The Monroes had that bushing not centered and I had to trim that. It seemed like it was manufacturing defect and I probably should of returned them, but I didn't. My old shocks felt okay, but on the freeway I seemed to have a bit too much oscillation (not enough damping) under certain humps. The new shocks solved that, but under regular street driving I honestly can't tell the difference. The previous owner did "level" the front by messing with the torsion bars, and I suppose it rides a bit harsher because of that. Not a fan of that look personally, but haven't messed with restoring the stock height.

I've never had Bilsteins, so I can't comment on those. But I always hear good things about them...

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I use KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on everything.

Now might be a good time to inspect/replace bushings in the control arms. I put poly bushings in my one ton and it rode much better.

With both the KYB shocks and the bushings I explain that you can drive over a dime and tell what year it is but you only hear the potholes. The ride is firm without being harsh. Think BMW vs. 1974 Cadillac.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How was the ride before you changed to the Bilsteins? What did you have before? Is this a vehicle you just acquired? Are you overseas?

What do you mean the mounts were too wide?
i have the car for less than a year and i got it with "adjustable" konis 82-2345 in the front, but they probably weren't specific for this model because there were many washers added in the mountings as you can see in the photo. i write "adjustable" because i could'nt find how to adjust them.
the ride was very bouncy mainly because of the rear shocks that were shot.
the metal sleeves of the bilsteins's bushings were too long so they wouldn't fit into the frames, i had to trim them.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 13