Front Lower Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
During the previous century, dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Among them was the Olds Toronado, starting in the '66 model year.

The Toro also had torsion bars in front; and folks were specifically told to use chassis grease on the hex of the torsion bar where it went into the control arm. Kept the torsion bar from seizing in the arm.

Good advice for the GMT400 trucks with torsion bars, too. GM seems to have forgotten that lesson over the years.

I'd have done that...if I could have gotten the control arms pounded off the torsion bars to begin with. Didn't happen for me. They're permanently attached by rust, now. Fortunately, I could install new bushings with the arms hanging on the end of the torsion bars. If I'd needed to replace an arm, I'd have had to pull the torsion bar out of the cross-member pocket.

Gonna have to remember that little factoid about the chassis grease. I just soak down every component with Kroil every time I crawl under to check the steering, driveshafts and overall condition of the running gear.
Not exactly the ideal lubricant from a maintenance stand point though.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Searching the GM parts sites it appears that the ASTRO van AWD used the same LCA. And they are available. I am trying to verify this on other sites to be sure.
PN 15992480 for the right side. Any help would be appreciated. I found this one on GM parts store. The fitment chart shows both the ASTRO and the K series
wb292 what was the outcome after you ordered these?

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been working a lot of OT since Christmas and haven’t done it yet. I just haven’t had much time off. I will order them at the end on the month. I will take plenty of pics also.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The new arms arrived today. I posted pics but the have to be approved by the mods first. So far the only difference I found is the have 4 drilled and tapped holes that the original ones on my truck don’t have. Otherwise they look identical. I won’t have time this weekend to attempt to install them. But I should be able to in a week. If anyone sees anything different on them please let me know.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One difference from mine anyway is they are the older style bolt on ball joint style. My 96 has the press in style.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new arms arrived today. I posted pics but the have to be approved by the mods first.

Are those completely new items or carefully selected "reman" arms with a new ball joint?

I checked on RockAuto and I saw no definitive claim that they were "new". There's no core charge.

They sure *look* new.

HellRAIZR93

Reaction score
So, let's say your truck is from the north east, and 31 years old. Then they become a "rust" part. I've had a really hard time locating any, I thought i found some at a salvage yard's online site, ordered them, and then got an email back saying "actually, we don't have those." Figures.

I need both front lowers, and the steering knuckles.

I've looked at a multitude of "gmpartsXYZ.com" sites, none of which have them showing as "discontinued". Jegs, Summit, LMC, Rock Auto, none of them show any aftermarket replacements either. Of course, you can find the 2WD ones no problem. I've got a 1990 K1500, so they'd be different than your one ton, but I'm in the same boat as you here.

I've reached out to Stephen Watson of Offroad Design to see if he has any leads. If i hear anything back, I'll post an update.

Wish i could post in the "Wanted" forum, but alas even paying my $20 doesn't grant me that privilege yet...

P.S. your K3500 is bad ass. If you strike out on the control arms, and have the cash and desire, you should look into a solid axle swap. If you plan on adding any lift, it might be worth it in terms of reliability.
Ive got everything but the Dana 44 high pinion axle for the SAS. if I can find some one that doesn't treat them like gold... My k1500 is currently still IFS once removed I would gladly give up The entire ifs setup for your truck.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are those completely new items or carefully selected "reman" arms with a new ball joint?

I checked on RockAuto and I saw no definitive claim that they were "new". There's no core charge.

They sure *look* new.
Yes they are all new parts made by Moog.