Front Lower Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s some closeups of Left LCA:
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is Right LCA:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shock mount appears to be in the same place on both. Looking at the guy next doors Astro it looks the same. But I’ll find out when I get a set.
I was seeing the bottom of the arm, and thinking it was the top. I see the shock mount now.

What suppler did you use for the poly bushings?
Energy Suspension on the '88, with a set of ProThane for the '97 (not installed yet.) Neither one has inner sleeves for the upper arm. Both have inner sleeves for the lower arm. Go figure.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was seeing the bottom of the arm, and thinking it was the top. I see the shock mount now.

Energy Suspension on the '88, with a set of ProThane for the '97 (not installed yet.) Neither one has inner sleeves for the upper arm. Both have inner sleeves for the lower arm. Go figure.
Schurkey I only posted all those pictures for the benefit of wb292. I find it interesting though, that Moog and Mevotech are making LCA’s for 92-95 Astro’s but not 88-98 K Series trucks! I really hope he’s onto something there.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a hard time believing it myself until I checked. Fitment correct for both K1500 and K2500. Picture below showing fitment for K2500.

If you Google GM 15992480 the part comes up on multiple sites available. Either way I don’t need them, but looks to be a possibility for those who do!
If so, its likely a K2500 6-lug...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pictured control arms are the stamped/welded variety; I'd be way more interested if they were the forged kind.

The Treasure Yards are full of stamped arms, I've got an extra set that would be good to go with new bushings and new ball joints--and a coat of paint.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I’m gathering that it’s difficult to remove the torsion bars from the LCA? Is this the case? Any special tool to assist? Just hammer them out? Or is it only a problem on some trucks?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So I’m gathering that it’s difficult to remove the torsion bars from the LCA? Is this the case? Any special tool to assist? Just hammer them out? Or is it only a problem on some trucks?

It's likley a rust issue. I had to pound my torsion bars out of my forged arms years ago. I would imagine in AZ it would not be much of an issue.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thank you. I’m planning on rebuilding the front end after Christmas. Think I’ll start soaking them with Kroil now and hope for the best.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During the previous century, dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Among them was the Olds Toronado, starting in the '66 model year.

The Toro also had torsion bars in front; and folks were specifically told to use chassis grease on the hex of the torsion bar where it went into the control arm. Kept the torsion bar from seizing in the arm.

Good advice for the GMT400 trucks with torsion bars, too. GM seems to have forgotten that lesson over the years.

I'd have done that...if I could have gotten the control arms pounded off the torsion bars to begin with. Didn't happen for me. They're permanently attached by rust, now. Fortunately, I could install new bushings with the arms hanging on the end of the torsion bars. If I'd needed to replace an arm, I'd have had to pull the torsion bar out of the cross-member pocket.