Front Lower Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no replacement of the gmt400 lower arms. You have to rebuild them. i have been there and done that. I even emailed numerous front end manufacturers, and they all declined to manufacture them. It is a problem.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Kinda got a question to add to this post, would anyone happen to know if they 2005 lower control arms for a 4x4 silverado fit in gmt400s? Ive located those and was curious if anyone had tried them.
I would be very suprised if they did. If they have different part numbers probably not.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for hours for replacement front lower control arms.
1997 Chevy K3500
454 Cubic Inch
8-lug hubs. PITA.

They are discontinued. Junkyard is your best bet

I just posted a thread on a GMT800 brake upgrade on the brakes & axles sub-forum. Watch the video and the guy mentions you can use GMT800 lower control arms with the knuckle swap. Seems like a decent amount of work though, but honestly, not much more than replacing control arms to begin with. Depending on the rust you have you may actually just replace everything from a truck from the south.
IF (big IF) I'd understood what was involved BEFORE I bought pads and a caliper, rebuilt the other caliper, and bought both lower ball joints for my '97 8-lug JD7...

...I'd love to have swapped the front brakes for the newer style. Seems like the only real bit_ch is having to ream the steering knuckle upper ball joint tapered hole--which I'm not thrilled about but would consider.

Major upgrade in that the 8-lug rotors slide on and off the studs like the 6-lug rotors, instead of being on the inside of the hub, "riveted" onto the hub with the lug studs. The calipers are twin-piston instead of single-piston.

The only downside other than already having the parts I need for the OEM brakes/suspension, is that my favorite Treasure Yard has no GMT800 8-lug trucks to rob parts from.

esva_rig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your knuckles have rusted so badly that they need to be replaced, what does the rest if the truck look like?

The best way to find control arms for our trucks is doing a part number search on ebay.
Rest of the truck also needs quite a bit of work. Most of what i'm planning to do wouldn't be worth it to other folks. I like this truck, had it for 17 years so it's kinda grown on me.

I've located a few near me via salvage yard. car-part.com has been helpful.

I did hear back from Stephen and he said they're out of leftovers.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same issue as you. I knew balljoints and bushings wasn't going to be a fast and easy, same day kind of job. I ordered a pair of LCAs off of eBay which cost around $160 plus shipping.
I got the bushings out which was even harder than I thought, and took a few days of working on it after hours. I'll paint them and press in the new stuff soon, and replace the uppers and lowers in the springtime.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Searching the GM parts sites it appears that the ASTRO van AWD used the same LCA. And they are available. I am trying to verify this on other sites to be sure.
PN 15992480 for the right side. Any help would be appreciated. I found this one on GM parts store. The fitment chart shows both the ASTRO and the K series

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Searching the GM parts sites it appears that the ASTRO van AWD used the same LCA. And they are available. I am trying to verify this on other sites to be sure.
PN 15992480 for the right side. Any help would be appreciated. I found this one on GM parts store. The fitment chart shows both the ASTRO and the K series
I believe you are correct. Which makes lower control arms STILL available for these trucks.