Front locker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
I'm just wondering do they make a locker to make the front posi? I looked at 4x4 posi loc website and it says it locks the passenger side in in place of fbe thermo actuators dos that mean both front tires will turn at the same time?

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive seen a detroit locker in ft with a spool in the rear, on the street

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No. The Posi-Loc has no effect on whether or not the front diff spins both wheels. It just replaces the actuator so the front diff is engaged on demand with no waiting period. The carrier in the front differential is what determines how power is divided between the front wheels. Every factory front carrier on these trucks is open, meaning only one wheel will spin in a situation where you're losing traction. If you drive on the street at all, you don't want the front end locked. If you put a locker in the front diff the truck will not steer well at all on pavement with 4WD engaged.

That said, I'm assuming your truck is a half ton due to the six lug wheels in the pics you posted. That means you'll have the 8.25" front differential. No one that I'm aware of even makes a locker or limited slip carrier for that differential due to the weak cases. If you had the bigger 9.25" front diff there are some decent options.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was just thinking. In older cars with7.5 rears and when they moved up to the 7.625 all the same parts fit
the same also happen with the 8.5 truck rears when they moved to the 8.6.
now I know that the 8.25 uses the same berrings as the 8.5 rears so just wondering how close the carrier is to fit?

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. The Posi-Loc has no effect on whether or not the front diff spins both wheels. It just replaces the actuator so the front diff is engaged on demand with no waiting period.

Also gives you the option of 2lo. I used to use the **** out of that in my 88 moving trailers around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk