Front End Refresh - Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, FYI I did do the rag joint, steering box, and steering pump not too long ago due to steering fluid being BLACK and burnt smelling, also loud squealing from the pump. The new gearbox sucks - it had way too much play right away (it's a BBB reman unit). None of these upgrades made much of a difference IMO, I think it's all the ball joints that are shot. Like I said when it is jacked up you can still hardly turn the wheel, and with the truck started is not much better (almost like no power steering).

I think I'll go with mostly Moog parts but may try to save the upper control arms by changing ball joints & bushings and hittin it with some black paint.
Mine is in the shop and sloppy steering is one of the things I'm having them fix. The guy I'm working with is replacing everything but the pump, gearbox, and shaft. He also prefers moog parts for steering. I told him I wanted to change the gearbox but he said mine was in good shape and has plenty of life left so I decided to keep it and see how it feels and see if I want a quick ratio box later.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I we’re going to use Moog I would’ve checked eBay as there’s many NOS Moog parts. Listening to mechanics for parts advice isn’t always a good idea. Their standard line seems to be Moog or AcDelco. Those parts aren’t what they used to be.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, FYI I did do the rag joint, steering box, and steering pump not too long ago due to steering fluid being BLACK and burnt smelling, also loud squealing from the pump. The new gearbox sucks - it had way too much play right away (it's a BBB reman unit). None of these upgrades made much of a difference IMO, I think it's all the ball joints that are shot. Like I said when it is jacked up you can still hardly turn the wheel, and with the truck started is not much better (almost like no power steering).

I think I'll go with mostly Moog parts but may try to save the upper control arms by changing ball joints & bushings and hittin it with some black paint.
Mevotech TX are the best for IFS 4wd trucks. Second choice would be the AC Delco's, then MOOG. Yours is a 2wd so there might not be as much difference. For tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm bracket and idler arm, MOOG is good. Don't forget to check the front bearings, that can definately make a difference in how it steers. If the bearing are good now's the time to regrease them.

AC Delco for the C-arm bushings.

The steering gear boxes on these trucks are a sad story. The original steering boxes were good, but GM stopped making them a long time ago. The remans are junk, my newly manufactured BBB steering gear box on my K1500 is only slightly better than a reman and it cost three times as much as a reman. Best bet is a Red Top or Blue Top rebuild.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did Proforged Idler/Pitman arm, Supersteer Idler arm bracket, Cognito braces, Mevotech TTX upper/lower ball joints, Mevotech TTX inner/out tie rods, Cunningham machined sleeves, Mevotech TTX Stabilizer bar end links, Acdelco stabilizer bushing, Moog greasable alignment bolts, Acdelco upper A-arms, NOS(made in USA)Timken wheel hub assemblies and Mevotech Supreme center drag link. New Goodyear Ultraterrain AT’s 265/75/16 LR-E. All so worth it too!:33: