Front End Refresh - Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking to rebuild the entire front end on my 92 C1500 because everything is shot (steering, ride quality, etc.) The steering is so bad as a matter of fact that with the truck jacked up, key unlocked, the wheel is crazy hard to turn (almost as if the tires are on the ground!) Not to mention every bump is a disaster even after doing the shocks.

Any recommendations for parts? (ACDelco vs Moog vs Mevotech, etc.) I'm looking to get idler & pitman arm, tie rods, lower control arms (rotted bad & the capture nuts for the shock mounting bolts broke), ball joints on the existing upper control arms, and of course sway bar links. I know it's going to break the bank but would like to soften the blow as much as possible without getting terrible quality parts.

It's long overdue at 170k with stock everything!

Medic0893

Reaction score
Absolutely look to replace the lower steering column with the “rag joint”. There is a replacement that’s actually made for a mid90’s keep that fits perfect and replaces the rag joint with a universal knuckle. Several YouTube pieces on this for exact references. My only other advice is buy good stuff from a reputable place. The cheap s$&@ on eBay and such looks good but will wear out fast. Unless you’re selling…

Medic0893

Reaction score
Sorry that is not the best video. Search GMT400 steering. The shaft comes from a 1994 Jeep Cherokee.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to use all new control arms because it saves a lot of time and you get new bushings too. I used Moog and no complaints. Rag joint is still going fine after 240k miles.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced everything save the steering gear about 4 years ago with a variety of Moog and AC Delco parts. Just stay away from the cheap product lines from both manufacturers and you'll be fine. No complaints from me on the parts wrt quality. The steering was still sloppy until I installed a Red-Top steering gear. That was the most significant improvement.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do it all and get a proper alignment. Once. Skip the $49 toe and go specials.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, FYI I did do the rag joint, steering box, and steering pump not too long ago due to steering fluid being BLACK and burnt smelling, also loud squealing from the pump. The new gearbox sucks - it had way too much play right away (it's a BBB reman unit). None of these upgrades made much of a difference IMO, I think it's all the ball joints that are shot. Like I said when it is jacked up you can still hardly turn the wheel, and with the truck started is not much better (almost like no power steering).

I think I'll go with mostly Moog parts but may try to save the upper control arms by changing ball joints & bushings and hittin it with some black paint.