Front end higher than back after new coils?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I hear ya there df2x4. every once in a while I will say something. call it a public service announcement if you will. so that maybe somebody might realize that running headlights that do not conform to the standards set fourth are not road legal and possible down right unsafe to oncoming traffic.

Iv had this written for a few hours so I may just submit it.

these are Canadian laws but they are practically the same in the US as well. at least the US laws are legal in Canada.

LEDs are not mentioned in the highway traffic act. incase you feel like reading it.... here it is. also the way I interpret subsection 3, is that modifying the lense or halogen bulbs in any way other than how it was manufactured is illegal. notice they make no mention of wiring. Altering the wiring with the 4 high and low mods are completely legal.

there is no stamp on those bulbs and that manufacturer makes no claim of those being street legal, because they are not. they are not illegal just not street legal.

Headlamps​

1. (1) In this section and in sections 2, 3 and 4,

“beam” means the light projected from a pair of lighted headlamps. O. Reg. 213/03, s. 1.

(2) In this section and in sections 2, 3, 4 and 4.1,

“headlamp” means one of the lamps on the front of a motor vehicle required by subsection 62 (1) of the Act. O. Reg. 213/03, s. 1.

2. (1) Subject to section 3, the headlamps on a motor vehicle shall be capable of projecting at least two beams, so controlled that only one beam can be selected for use by the driver of the motor vehicle at any one time according to the requirements of traffic. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 596, s. 2 (1).

(2) One beam shall be a lower or passing beam so aimed that none of the high intensity portion of the beam that is directed,

(a) to the left of the vehicle, is higher than 127 millimetres below; or

(b) to the right of the vehicle, is higher than,

the horizontal line through the centre of the headlamp from which it comes, at a distance of 7.6 metres ahead of the headlamp, when the vehicle is not loaded, and the high intensity portion of the lower or passing beam shall not rise higher than 1.07 metres above the level on which the vehicle stands at a distance of 22.9 metres ahead of the vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 596, s. 2 (2).

3. Headlamps on motor vehicles manufactured and sold before the 1st day of August, 1939, may provide a single beam of light if the single beam complies with the following requirements and limitations:

1. The headlamps shall be so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded, none of the high intensity portion of the light shall, at a distance of 7.6 metres ahead of the vehicle, rise higher than a level of 127 millimetres below the horizontal centre of the headlamp from which it comes and, at a distance of 22.9 metres ahead, shall not rise higher than 1.07 metres above the level on which the vehicle stands.

2. No lighting device of more than thirty-two mean spherical candela shall be used in a single beam headlamp. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 596, s. 3.

4. No lighting device of over four mean spherical candela shall be carried on a motor vehicle unless it is equipped with a device for the elimination of glare approved by the Minister. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 596, s. 4.

4.1 (1) A headlamp that emits a white light only may be coated or covered with a coloured material if the headlamp,

(a) is a halogen sealed beam lamp,

(i) that complies with,

(A) the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 49CFR571.108, as it reads on the day this section comes into force, including being marked by the manufacturer with the manufacturer’s name or trademark and the DOT symbol, or

(B) clause 108.1 (a) (iii) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations SOR/78-257 made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), as it reads on the day this section comes into force, including being marked by the manufacturer with the manufacturer’s name or trademark, the ECE symbol (a circle surrounding the letter E) and a designation commencing with the letter H, and

(ii) that was manufactured with a coating or covering of coloured material; or

(b) contains one or more replaceable halogen bulbs,

(i) that comply with,

(A) the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 49CFR571.108, as it reads on the day this section comes into force, including being marked by the manufacturer with the manufacturer’s name or trademark, the DOT symbol and the bulb type, or

(B) clauses 108.1 (a) (i) and (ii) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations SOR/78-257 made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), as it reads on the day this section comes into force, including being marked by the manufacturer with the manufacturer’s name or trademark, the ECE symbol (a circle surrounding the letter E) and a designation commencing with the letter H, and

(ii) that were manufactured with a coating or covering of coloured material. O. Reg. 213/03, s. 2.

(2) Sub-subclauses (1) (a) (i) (B) and (1) (b) (i) (B) apply with necessary modifications to a replacement halogen sealed beam lamp or a replacement halogen bulb as if it were a halogen sealed beam lamp or a halogen bulb connected to a headlamp assembly by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle. O. Reg. 213/03, s. 2.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply if the halogen sealed beam lamp or replaceable halogen bulb,

(a) is connected to a headlamp assembly or installed on a motor vehicle for which it is not designed;

(b) is coated or covered with a coloured material after its manufacture; or

(c) is altered after its manufacture, other than as described in clause (b). O. Reg. 213/03, s. 2.

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Color temperature has nothing to do with the way the housings reflect light. Almost all aftermarket HIDs/LEDs do a pretty terrible job of rating them too. Even if that 6000K color rating is accurate, halogens are much more yellow and closer to 3500K which is a lot easier on your eyes at night. Color aside... HIDs have a different filament design and placement than standard halogens so you'll get some light scattered in places it shouldn't be if you put them in a reflector housing designed for halogens. Same deal with LEDs.

Anyone concerned about light pattern/cut off and legality should be running the type of bulb that their housings were designed for. You can get much better performance out of the factory standard halogen setup just by upgrading the wiring. There's over 200 pages of discussion on this and other related topics here.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/
Color temperature has nothing to do with the way the housings reflect light. Almost all aftermarket HIDs/LEDs do a pretty terrible job of rating them too. Even if that 6000K color rating is accurate, halogens are much more yellow and closer to 3500K which is a lot easier on your eyes at night. Color aside... HIDs have a different filament design and placement than standard halogens so you'll get some light scattered in places it shouldn't be if you put them in a reflector housing designed for halogens. Same deal with LEDs.

Anyone concerned about light pattern/cut off and legality should be running the type of bulb that their housings were designed for. You can get much better performance out of the factory standard halogen setup just by upgrading the wiring. There's over 200 pages of discussion on this and other related topics here.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/
Yes the 6000k is bright white and legal in Canada and they go great in the anzo housing as they were designed to fit hids as well never been flashed once as they’re aimed correctly and puts halogen lights to shame but if you are running halogen make sure your bulbs are new I can’t stand when I see people missing headlights or a tail light

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya there df2x4. every once in a while I will say something. call it a public service announcement if you will. so that maybe somebody might realize that running headlights that do not conform to the standards set fourth are not road legal and possible down right unsafe to oncoming traffic.

Iv had this written for a few hours so I may just submit it.

these are Canadian laws but they are practically the same in the US as well. at least the US laws are legal in Canada.

LEDs are not mentioned in the highway traffic act. incase you feel like reading it.... here it is. also the way I interpret subsection 3, is that modifying the lense or halogen bulbs in any way other than how it was manufactured is illegal. notice they make no mention of wiring. Altering the wiring with the 4 high and low mods are completely legal.

there is no stamp on those bulbs and that manufacturer makes no claim of those being street legal, because they are not. they are not illegal just not street legal.

Headlamps​

1. (1) In this section and in sections 2, 3 and 4,

“beam” means the light projected from a pair of lighted headlamps. O. Reg. 213/03, s. 1.

(2) In this section and in sections 2, 3, 4 and 4.1,

“headlamp” means one of the lamps on the front of a motor vehicle required by subsection 62 (1) of the Act. O. Reg. 213/03, s. 1.

2. (1) Subject to section 3, the headlamps on a motor vehicle shall be capable of projecting at least two beams, so controlled that only one beam can be selected for use by the driver of the motor vehicle at any one time according to the requirements of traffic. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 596, s. 2 (1).

(2) One beam shall be a lower or passing beam so aimed that none of the high intensity portion of the beam that is directed,

(a) to the left of the vehicle, is higher than 127 millimetres below; or

(b) to the right of the vehicle, is higher than,

the horizontal line through the centre of the headlamp from which it comes, at a distance of 7.6 metres ahead of the headlamp, when the vehicle is not loaded, and the high intensity portion of the lower or passing beam shall not rise higher than 1.07 metres above the level on which the vehicle stands at a distance of 22.9 metres ahead of the vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 596, s. 2 (2).

3. Headlamps on motor vehicles manufactured and sold before the 1st day of August, 1939, may provide a single beam of light if the single beam complies with the following requirements and limitations:

1. The headlamps shall be so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded, none of the high intensity portion of the light shall, at a distance of 7.6 metres ahead of the vehicle, rise higher than a level of 127 millimetres below the horizontal centre of the headlamp from which it comes and, at a distance of 22.9 metres ahead, shall not rise higher than 1.07 metres above the level on which the vehicle stands.

2. No lighting device of more than thirty-two mean spherical candela shall be used in a single beam headlamp. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 596, s. 3.

4. No lighting device of over four mean spherical candela shall be carried on a motor vehicle unless it is equipped with a device for the elimination of glare approved by the Minister. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 596, s. 4.

4.1 (1) A headlamp that emits a white light only may be coated or covered with a coloured material if the headlamp,

(a) is a halogen sealed beam lamp,

(i) that complies with,

(A) the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 49CFR571.108, as it reads on the day this section comes into force, including being marked by the manufacturer with the manufacturer’s name or trademark and the DOT symbol, or

(B) clause 108.1 (a) (iii) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations SOR/78-257 made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), as it reads on the day this section comes into force, including being marked by the manufacturer with the manufacturer’s name or trademark, the ECE symbol (a circle surrounding the letter E) and a designation commencing with the letter H, and

(ii) that was manufactured with a coating or covering of coloured material; or

(b) contains one or more replaceable halogen bulbs,

(i) that comply with,

(A) the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 49CFR571.108, as it reads on the day this section comes into force, including being marked by the manufacturer with the manufacturer’s name or trademark, the DOT symbol and the bulb type, or

(B) clauses 108.1 (a) (i) and (ii) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations SOR/78-257 made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), as it reads on the day this section comes into force, including being marked by the manufacturer with the manufacturer’s name or trademark, the ECE symbol (a circle surrounding the letter E) and a designation commencing with the letter H, and

(ii) that were manufactured with a coating or covering of coloured material. O. Reg. 213/03, s. 2.

(2) Sub-subclauses (1) (a) (i) (B) and (1) (b) (i) (B) apply with necessary modifications to a replacement halogen sealed beam lamp or a replacement halogen bulb as if it were a halogen sealed beam lamp or a halogen bulb connected to a headlamp assembly by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle. O. Reg. 213/03, s. 2.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply if the halogen sealed beam lamp or replaceable halogen bulb,

(a) is connected to a headlamp assembly or installed on a motor vehicle for which it is not designed;

(b) is coated or covered with a coloured material after its manufacture; or

(c) is altered after its manufacture, other than as described in clause (b). O. Reg. 213/03, s. 2.
Yes 6000k is street legal in Canada
And having dim lights is not safe pal you want to be able to see and be seen, just make sure you have new bulbs that are street legal and aim them correctly and your good to go

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ Yeah, that's about the response I expected. :confused:

Anzo doesn't make a set of housings for these trucks designed for HIDs. Some of them have glare caps or projectors, but they're all designed for 9005/9006 halogens.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
man show me the laws making it legal. read the regs I posted. this is dumb and I know for a fact that your wrong on many facts.

did you know that it is also illegal to flash your headlights at oncoming traffic? not everyone will do it. and I dont usually but sometimes, if there is no one behind you I will blind you right back because I bet mine are just as bright.

but legal. LOL

read the regs... it is not open for discussion. no hids, no leds, they mention halogen bulbs specifically and say that the headlights can not be altered from how they were manufactured. yes there are headlights that use leds and hids, but that is how they were manufactured and meet the standards. they will have all the stamps and those bulbs are expensive.

anyways this was not even a headlight thread. just a simple reminder to recheck your headlight aim after changing the trucks geometry by raising it those couple inches...

I didnt know you were an expert though and I thought I was helping.

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ Yeah, that's about the response I expected. :confused:

Anzo doesn't make a set of housings for these trucks designed for HIDs. Some of them have glare caps or projectors, but they're all designed for 9005/9006 halogens.
Anzo where designed for hids I’ve even contacted them to confirm this… like I said I’m running hids in Anzo housing can see amazing at night never been flashed once and they look awesome anything beats the old halogen they are garbage

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
man show me the laws making it legal. read the regs I posted. this is dumb and I know for a fact that your wrong on many facts.

did you know that it is also illegal to flash your headlights at oncoming traffic? not everyone will do it. and I dont usually but sometimes, if there is no one behind you I will blind you right back because I bet mine are just as bright.

but legal. LOL

read the regs... it is not open for discussion. no hids, no leds, they mention halogen bulbs specifically and say that the headlights can not be altered from how they were manufactured. yes there are headlights that use leds and hids, but that is how they were manufactured and meet the standards. they will have all the stamps and those bulbs are expensive.

anyways this was not even a headlight thread. just a simple reminder to recheck your headlight aim after changing the trucks geometry by raising it those couple inches...

I didnt know you were an expert though and I thought I was helping.
If you want to stick with your crappy halogens go ahead just saying it’s safer to be seen and be able to see at night but that’s your choice pal

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
what you don't understand is that those bulbs are not illegal. they are just not road legal. if your right and they are, then prove it. because I have already disproved it.

I know that no one gives a **** about the laws but sometimes some one needs to set the record straight.

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes they are road legal I’m not going to say it again and it’s already been proved look it up or ask anyone that lives in Canada LOL if they weren’t road legal they wouldn’t be in my truck period dot dash …. Capish

Status
Not open for further replies.