Front end collision, wheels toe out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mariodave

Reaction score
I have a 1995 ECSB 4x4 that was wrecked
It got hit in the left front wheel at about 20 mph. The tire was blown out but the wheel was not bent. The front wheels now have 3/4 inch negative toe. The frame seems ro be bent slightly at the bend to the rear of the control arms. The paint came off there, but it is hard to measure a bend in the frame. I cant figure why it is towed out. Has anyone ever seen this?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take it to a good alignment shop and see what they tell you. If there was enough force to bend the frame, even just slightly, I'd be surprised if you didn't have damage to the tie rod or other steering/suspension components. A good alignment shop might be able to get it adjusted to work, but they would be able to tell you if it's bad enough to need frame repair.

mariodave

Reaction score
The previous owner had replaced all tie rods, gearbox, idler, and pittman arm. They didnt tighten the Pittman to the gearbox and the impact damaged the Pittman arm splines. I have replaced it. Not sure if it needs frame repair or just alignment.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let em get this straight, crash happened with previous owner and they replaced parts after the crash?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If so, I'd start with an alignment, you can't replace the steering rack and expect proper alignment just because. I've gotten away with counting threads on tie rods, but that's not very precise or recommended, I also did it on vehicles that were more or less properly aligned before swapping parts.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The frame needs to be straightened first. It is common for them to bend in the area you mentioned.
Start there first.
You can also have a bent spindle. I have found that almost every hit to the tire or wheel damages the wheel bearing also.
Check it over carefully or you will have a growl later.