Front end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My "clunking" shocks were also KYB. I ended up replacing one with a NAPA shock just because i got tired of swapping things in and out to solve the problem. I found the NAPA shock had a little smaller mount sleeve than the KYB which helps but i still used 3/4" bolts.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't recall my mechanic mentioning any such issues with the Bilstein 4600s on both of my '97s, just throwing that out there.

Glad you found the problem and thanks for updating the thread!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
When I get to do the upper control arms and brakes on my Burb, I'm going to look at the shocks. I know a lot of my front end noise and squeaks are from bad bushings, but your experience shows the shocks should be looked at. I want to put better ones on it, I think the shop used whatever cheaper Gabriel shocks auto zone sent them. I had them do the job because I remembered how much fun(not!) my dad and I had changing front shocks on the other 99 Burb. When they've been on there since the truck was built, they ain't too eager to come off....

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't recall my mechanic mentioning any such issues with the Bilstein 4600s on both of my '97s, just throwing that out there.

Glad you found the problem and thanks for updating the thread!
Same here. The KYB version was too loose on the bolt (but only on one side). Going back to the Bilstein 4600 resolved it, making me think it was a quality control issue with the KYB.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just as a final post. I put bigger grade 8 bolts as was recommended and I put napa reflex shocks on and have driven the truck to hell and back on all kinds of roads and there has been no sign of the noise at all. Plus it rides way better than the old shocks ever did. I think my kyb shocks were better but at the time the reflex shocks were the easiest availability.

Thanks for the help guys!

Reaction score
I found the source of the clunking, it was indeed the shock. I was hoping the shock was totally dead but it still has plenty of life in it.

but the clunk was coming from the bolts. The bolts were tight but the sleeve around the bolt was not just like East302 had. I also noticed both bushings are cracked pretty good and the top one is a good bit softer than the bottom.

I pulled the driver shock ans bounced the truck and the sound was gone however the passenger side is starting to make the same noise the driver side started as.

today after work I’ll take the shock into napa and see what we can come up with. I’m not against a bigger bolt or new bushings but especially since I hate these shocks it might be better just to get the kybs like I had before.
Do you remember exactly what you used to fix this bud?