Front differential ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1991 drives horrible when in 4WD, even in the snow seems like the front/rear differential are fighting each other. Drives perfect when out of 4WD. 4 new same size tires. The previous owner said he changed the complete front axle assy for some unknown reason. I think he might of installed the wrong gear ratio. Any way to check this besides tearing it apart. Thanks for the help....

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The snow is finally done around here and I took the plow off and had some time to check the front VS rear gear ratios. The rear is 3:42 and front is 3:73 code in glove box is GU6 it amazes me just how stupid people can be....

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time to regear! Are going to keep it 3.73 or 3.42? Do you do any towing or hauling?

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had one with 373 rear and 342 front. Had staggered tire size. 35s rear and 32 or 33 front and drove fine. I put 373 in front and sold truck so wasn't worried