Front differential ratio ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget to check for cracks!
You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replaced the left front axle seal today. There was paint pen lettering (like a junkyard does) on the differential flange. Would GM have done that? The threaded vent fitting was just sitting in the case, didn’t even fit.

I did see that it has a 41 tooth ring gear but couldn’t see the pinion gear.

Someone’s been in this thing before.

Called a couple shops, the general answer was we’re not sure but bring it in and we’ll look at it.

I did put it in 4H, it rolls at idle about six feet forward and back before slowly stopping. So either someone put in a 3.42 up front and there’s another issue or it still has 3.73 and the paint mark and vent thing is a coincidence.

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you take the whole diff out or loosen up the mounting bolts to get it to drop enough and get the axle out?
I rolled under my 2Dr Tahoe and looked at the axle flanges, they have paint markings and to my knowledge it had never been out of the truck until recently, i had 4.56's put in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would.get a shop to verify what ratio is in the front diff and then either locate another rearend or just have the correct ring and pinion installed to match the front.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you take the whole diff out or loosen up the mounting bolts to get it to drop enough and get the axle out?
I rolled under my 2Dr Tahoe and looked at the axle flanges, they have paint markings and to my knowledge it had never been out of the truck until recently, i had 4.56's put in.

Yeah, had to pull the two driver bolts and loosen the two passenger ones to get it to drop down.

So those paint marks on yours are from the factory? My other two 98s don’t have them at all and both are original differentials.

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did put it in 4H, it rolls at idle about six feet forward and back before slowly stopping. So either someone put in a 3.42 up front and there’s another issue or it still has 3.73 and the paint mark and vent thing is a coincidence.

That sucks. Hope you catch a break an that thing soon.

Could you do the rotation thing? Maybe disconnecting the front u joint might help? Mark it before you take it apart so you can put it back in the right place.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know they're original. There are paint marks on the passenger side flange as well, but are worn more.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sucks. Hope you catch a break an that thing soon.

Could you do the rotation thing? Maybe disconnecting the front u joint might help? Mark it before you take it apart so you can put it back in the right place.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I’m just not too familiar with how they all work. Tried it with all four wheels off ground, engine on, 4H and front shaft spins barely before locking.

Would disconnecting the rear shaft then remove the back from the equation and still let the front shaft and wheels lock together?

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m just not too familiar with how they all work. Tried it with all four wheels off ground, engine on, 4H and front shaft spins barely before locking.

Would disconnecting the rear shaft then remove the back from the equation and still let the front shaft and wheels lock together?
I would be tempted to try what he does in the video but at the front. Disconnecting the front driveshaft at the u joint under the oil filter seemed like it might make things easier. I've not done it and have no idea if the diff stays engaged if the truck is off or if it would work.

I'm guessing your thinking of removing the rear shaft and trying to run it in 4hi. I don't see why not, but what do I know.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm guessing your thinking of removing the rear shaft and trying to run it in 4hi. I don't see why not, but what do I know.

Lol, that makes two of us. I called it a day, body parts start hurting after a while.

I did notice one thing. The casing part number is 26060524 and is on the rear passenger side. I can’t find any real match to it online, but a few eBay listings pull up that appear to be differentials pulled from an early GMT800.

The same part number on my two other 98 models is 15572992 and those are the original differentials. Do any of you guys have this 26060524 casing number on yours?