Front differential ratio ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would say no. Looks like it was an open diff and they added some type of " lunchbox" locker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your looking for gears, i have a set of 3.73s front and rear taken out of my 97 with just a tad over 100k

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the purchase offers, I appreciate it. Not quite sure what I’ll do here, but am leaning toward a junkyard rear if this thing doesn’t match.

Would counting the front tire spins vs driveshaft spins be a good way to confirm front ratio? I’m not familiar with how they work and am not at home to check, but would the front driveshaft spin freely with the front hubs if the transfer case is in 2H or neutral?

Postmech

Reaction score
Having just experienced installing the wrong front differential in a 1999 Z71,when we engaged 4wheel drive truck rolled about a foot then wouldn't move. Turned out the 99 had 3.73 and new front diff was 3.42. So if its running and you have used 4 wheel drive and truck would roll without binding up, either both are the same or transfer case is broken.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. This was one of those bargain trucks that seemed pretty sound. It was balky getting into 4H (manual case) but did roll a few feet so I didn’t think much of it. With the shifter back in 2H, it took rolling backward about ten feet to get it to catch. All this was in a straight line on dry pavement, so it wasn’t much of a test. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

So...I don’t know and am hesitant to give it a good run in 4H/L so that I don’t add a transfer case to the list.

I’ll try spinning the front tires and see if I can figure up the ratio that way. Maybe by some miracle they swapped the front.

I haven’t checked the pull-a-part here, but did see some area yards that sell rear assemblies for around $500. I hate doing that, not knowing if I’m buying a pig in a poke as they say. Not a lot of options short of a new gear set install, I’m afraid.

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a guess ,but more than likely the previous owner ruined the original 3.73 geared rearend, went to a salvage yard and just bought a diff that came out of a 4wd and never confirmed the gear ratio. The front diff is still probably the original 3.73.

Call a local 4wd shop, explain the situation and see if they have a way to tell what the front gear ratio is without removing and spliting the case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, it’s a G80. I spun it around.

You must be registered for see images attach