Front big brake upgrade, again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realsquash

Reaction score
Soooooo I've been reading everything I can find on the internets about upgrading the front brakes on a 2wd to something with a 13"+ rotor and dual or 4-piston calipers and it looks like it hasn't been done? Correct me if I'm wrong here. I've built a 6-bolt 14BSF rear axle for my C1500 and I would like to upgrade the front to the largest brakes I can fit into a 17" wheel, and obviously it needs to be 6-lug, too. Unless someone has something to add that I haven't already learned, I'm going to conquer it this weekend. I'll also have to mind the ride height with this because I am going with a 4/6 drop on this truck. I have a few options to explore...

1) Mill the stock GMT400 knuckle to remove the caliper "ears", machine an adapter to fit fixed-mount calipers to bolt onto it. I have some 2010+ Camaro Brembo calipers I can play with. Otherwise I might end up giving a Wilwood 4-piston a shot. I'd like to have something light vs. the heavy truck parts, but they all mount the same nowadays so we'll see. I will need to find a hub that will fit the spindle, but I believe there aren't any with a 6-lug pattern. I might end my making my own hubs but we'll see. I don't want to go this route.

2) Swap on 2015 GMT900 aluminum knuckles with unit bearings. I need to check the geometry between the 400 and 900, but from looking at this I might be able to make the GMT400 lower arm work by just flipping the balljoint over. I will have some parts to measure soon. The 400 upper control arm should bolt on without much drama.

3) Swap on 2015 GMT900 knuckles and lower control arms. I have to measure the parts to see if there is even a remote chance of the lower control arm fitting the GMT400 frame mounts. It looks close, but I have my doubts. It would be nice (for me) to use this setup because the lower arm is also aluminum and it is set up for a coilover type shock/spring setup, so there's no spring cup on the arm. I can make an adapter to fit the coil bucket in the GMT400 frame and run a QA1 coilover.

4) Swap on 2015 GMT900 knuckles and build my own control arm(s). I don't want to do this.

Comments?

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
Seems like a good deal. Would be alot cheaper and a ton less headache and the guy knows what he's talking about

sent from my glade air freshner

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Found one for gmt800 swap but it applies to 4wd. You may find some usefull info
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17805
Also there is no gmt900 2015s are k2something

Third you may want to check the attitude at the door. Not many people would be willing to help.

Sewlow is very helpful and has tons off 400 and vehicle knowledge

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Hey! You posted 'C1500'!
Never said a F'n thing about the front being converted to 6 lug. The rear...yes! The front??? C1500 = 5 lug!
...and NO! I wasn't kidding!
Damn lucky there's a muzzle of the language on this forum.
Can't read your mind!
Don't ever ask me for help again!
I'm O.U.T.!!!

Stupid newbie. Want to get help? Some pointers from the members that are knowledgeable? Loose the attitude!
...or just leave.

Last edited:

realsquash

Reaction score
Hey! You posted 'C1500'!
Never said a F'n thing about the front being converted to 6 lug. The rear...yes! The front??? C1500 = 5 lug!
...and NO! I wasn't kidding!
Damn lucky there's a muzzle of the language on this forum.
Can't read your mind!
Don't ever ask me for help again!
I'm O.U.T.!!!

Stupid newbie. Want to get help? Some pointers from the members that are knowledgeable? Loose the attitude!

Alrighty then, clearly I also underestimated your intelligence as well as your English comprehension. Ciao.