From Cummins to a 00’ 5.7 c3500 Automatic.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all, new guy here and after browsing the forum I figured it would be great to start talking about this new truck I bought off a a older gentlemen who had it for the past 15 years.

It’s my first gas pick up truck that’s 2wd as well. Has 152k miles
You must be registered for see images attach

Typical GM paint but looks like it has great potential. 3500 should have a 4L80E, 14 bolt full floater, hydroboost, and the bigger OE brakes for these trucks. If you will be running this heavy or towing, when it comes time for front rotors, use the 01-02 3500 SRW van rotors that are 39.1mm thick and matching calipers. They bolt on and give you increased durability and less brake fade.

alexbflowing

Reaction score
Thank you @L31MaxExpress! I'm definitely looking into doing brakes soon; has a symptom of maybe warped rotors. I wouldn't be surprised if they are original. I got around to doing both coolant temp sensors, new spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, air intake, and installed a new thermostat along with a coolant flush.
Very inexpensive for parts honestly. I got around to ordering some Bilstein 4600 shocks for the front and rear after doing a lot of research on here

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you @L31MaxExpress! I'm definitely looking into doing brakes soon; has a symptom of maybe warped rotors. I wouldn't be surprised if they are original. I got around to doing both coolant temp sensors, new spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, air intake, and installed a new thermostat along with a coolant flush.
Very inexpensive for parts honestly. I got around to ordering some Bilstein 4600 shocks for the front and rear after doing a lot of research on here
I think you will like the Bilsteins for normal driving and light hauling. I habe Bilsteins on my 2011 Pathfinder and the 1987 G20 van. I put KYB Monomax on the Express I tow a heavy travel trailer with.

alexbflowing

Reaction score
Hmm I don't know why it didn't occur to me to look at the KYB's. I haven't towed anything with it yet, so I'm curious how the 4l80 transmission handles loads and slight hills. I think the 5.7 is a stout though after doing research on it. What engine is in your Express?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm I don't know why it didn't occur to me to look at the KYB's. I haven't towed anything with it yet, so I'm curious how the 4l80 transmission handles loads and slight hills. I think the 5.7 is a stout though after doing research on it. What engine is in your Express?
5.7L based 383

I think the 4L80E is awesome. It is a little harder to get rolling from a stop than a 60E, but once you are rolling the gear spacing is far better. Look in your glove box floor for the SPID label. Should show either GT4 or GT5 for gearing. GT4 is 3.73 and GT5 is 4.10. Bonus points for G80 as that is a locking diff.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I haven't towed a trailer yet with my 5.7 Vortec 1 ton, but based on the way my 1500 Burb is with a trailer and the same engine, should be fine. Your rear axle ratio should be either 4.10 or 4.56; my truck has the 4.10. I f you get your foot in it a bit, it pulls hard off the line, and mine is a crew cab so it's heavier than a single cab would be.
I had the bed full of car show/swap meet stuff after Thanksgiving weekend, probably no more than 700 pounds, hauled it great. The truck rode way better, and the load didn't affect the performance any. These trucks are built to haul, even the small block powered ones.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't towed a trailer yet with my 5.7 Vortec 1 ton, but based on the way my 1500 Burb is with a trailer and the same engine, should be fine. Your rear axle ratio should be either 4.10 or 4.56; my truck has the 4.10. I f you get your foot in it a bit, it pulls hard off the line, and mine is a crew cab so it's heavier than a single cab would be.
I had the bed full of car show/swap meet stuff after Thanksgiving weekend, probably no more than 700 pounds, hauled it great. The truck rode way better, and the load didn't affect the performance any. These trucks are built to haul, even the small block powered ones.
Yea I was moving 12,500 lbs combined with the van and travel trailer with the 350, 4L85E and 3.73s. It moved it well from a stop unless I was on a steep incline and then it took it a couple of seconds to get past 20 mph where it took off. Made pulling out onto rural 2 lane highway a game of waiting until there was a large gap, but none the less it could do it and did many times.

alexbflowing

Reaction score
So I just went and peeked into my glovebox and sure enough it is a G80. Very pleased to know that. You are also right about the 480le. The spacing was really really thought out. I feel maybe that combination is why I can ramp up to 60mph rather quickly, and stay under 3,500rpms. That is something I really enjoy about this truck.
@HotWheelsBurban you should know I won't be towing a trailer a lot either; only when I am done with a job and have to rent one out. I am moving soon so I have a little piece in mind I now have a 8 foot box available.