From 4L80E to NV4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarioGMC

Reaction score
Hello, as said in my truck's thread i started this coversion on my '97 GMC Sierra K3500 6.5 TD.
It has a 4L80E that i hate and i want to convert it to manual.
It hadn't been easy but i've found a NV4500 in Germany.
It's an early model with very short 1st gear and the bellhousing had the external slave cylinder.

You must be registered for see images attach

The first thing to do is to buy the 4wd tailhousing because the gearbox was on a 2wd truck.

With the gearbox and bellhousing the German sold me also the clutch and flywheel.
If i'm not wrong (i did some research here and there on the web) , the clutch should fit (the diameter is more or less 300mm or 12") but the flywheel not....it was on a 5.7 gas (350) it weights 13,1 kg (28,8 lbs) . Am i right?
I read that the diesel flywheel weights 45 lbs.
Of course i don't want the dual mass flywheel, is it better to buy the 6.2 one or one of the solid conversion ones for the 6.5 TD?

I've got some pics :

Clutch plate and pressure plate seem to be quite good and reusable...anyway, buy everything new could be a good idea...what do you think?

Then the clutch and brake pedals :

i read that there are two versions for the clutch pedal : '88-'94 and '95-'2000
mine is a '97 but i bought an old style bellhousing with external slave cylinder :
do you know if the '95-'00 pedal work with the older slave? Or is it better to adapt a '88-'94 one? I've got a machining shop...

In the worst case, for the brake pedal, i could keep the automatic one and cut it....but i hope to find the right one.

Shafts :

does anybody know the lenght difference between the 4L80E shafts and the ones for the NV4500?
I read that the 4L60E should have the same lenght of the NV4500 so i could use the shafts of a truck equipped with this gearbox if i find one with the same wheelbase....it's a bit hard to find a GMT400 in a scrapyard in Italy but not impossible......
Most of the GMT400 here in Italy are 1500s....do you know if 1500 shafts fit on a 3500?
I could also buy some used ones from the USA but the shipping is very very expensive.
Another option is to ask to a drive shafts shop to make some custom ones.

ECM

I read that the 4L80E comunicates with the ECM and pull it away from the truck could generate a lot of error codes.
So...what to do?
I read a lot about this but i'm still confused :

some say that you have to reprogram the ECM to "tell it" that now the truck has a manual transmission

some other say that they left all the 4L80E elctrical stuff connected and they drive with no problems

What's the truth?

Then there should be some other questions about cruise control and something else that i don't remember....and then i think i write enought.

I can't wait to start driving my truck the way i used to, i really hate that ****** automatic. And it's an exciting challenge do this conversion here in Italy....all my friend tell me i'm crazy.

Thank you in advance for the patience for reading all and for your help.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do you hate the 4L80E or just automatics in general? The latter makes way more sense to me. This looks like it'll be quite the challenge to hunt down all the piddly **** to finish the conversion, but I'm subbed now. I converted a 2wd 4L80 to 4wd and it required not only the housing, but also a different output shaft. I imagine same goes for you here. I believe the output is also referred to as the main shaft in a manual.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 4L80E is an excellent transmission. Yes, it is somewhat controlled by the PCM (what you called the ECM). The PCM can be tuned. I just got a tuned PCM for my 1997 7.4 Litre from Black Bear Performance, but haven't installed it yet. When ordering you can choose to have the shifting characteristics adjusted to suit your driving style and driving conditions. This is the route I would go, if I were you. I bet the tuned PCM would really benefit the engine, as well.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 4L80E is an excellent transmission. Yes, it is somewhat controlled by the PCM (what you called the ECM). The PCM can be tuned. I just got a tuned PCM for my 1997 7.4 Litre from Black Bear Performance, but haven't installed it yet. When ordering you can choose to have the shifting characteristics adjusted to suit your driving style and driving conditions. This is the route I would go, if I were you. I bet the tuned PCM would really benefit the engine, as well.

The diesel PCM is different from a gas PCM, Blackbear can't tune a diesel PCM.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score