frankenstein of a truck....90-93

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mxmotorhead24

Reaction score
howdy,

been working on a truck that i aquired a year ago... truck is a 90 k1500 cab and frame, from diggin i found out the truck has a 4l60e in it yes u read that right! a 93 4l60e transmission and wiring harness and computer that was swapped in by someone.

I knew both previous owners before it ended up in a woods and in my possesion it always was a frankenstein up until the engine seized. when i bought it a engine was sittin in there but not hooked up or even bolted and i have no info on miles or anything. i finished the job, got it running and had many issues or kinks to get figured out. Including replacing intake manifold, coolant temp sensor, distributor, map sensor,egr valve,oxygen sensor swapped on a good used/cleaned 93 style throttle body i had laying around. base timing is at 0

Truck is throwing a code 43, smells like its running rich as well. ive replaced knock sensor 2x first one i didnt torque the 2nd one i did. When i go to start the truck up ive found it will crank over a long time unless i feather/tap gas like its carburated then itll start right up seems like its missin for 4 sec then it goes to normal... if i clear the code it comes back 2-5secs after i start engine up... truck runs and drives down the road no issues but seems a little doggy....

any ideas?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the engine properly warmed-up. Whack the intake manifold with a small brass hammer, watch with the timing light to see if the timing retards.

Connect a scan tool, look for issues in the data stream.

You can install a hundred knock sensors, if the wire harness between the sensor and the ECM is broken, it still won't work. Same deal if the ECM has failed in the circuitry that supports the knock sensor or the spark advance.

mxmotorhead24

Reaction score
dont have a scan tool, tested resistance of knock sensor it is at 100.... key on the volts at knock sensor single wire plugged in reads 2.4 volts???? does anyone know what the readings should be for testing knock sensor on 93 with350 tbi and 4l60e transmission....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont have a scan tool, tested resistance of knock sensor it is at 100.... key on the volts at knock sensor single wire plugged in reads 2.4 volts???? does anyone know what the readings should be for testing knock sensor on 93 with350 tbi and 4l60e transmission....
Bang on the intake manifold, see if the timing retards. Don't need a scan tool for that.

Trying to work on computerized vehicles without a decent scan tool rarely--but sometimes--works out.

mxmotorhead24

Reaction score
Bang on the intake manifold, see if the timing retards. Don't need a scan tool for that.

Trying to work on computerized vehicles without a decent scan tool rarely--but sometimes--works out.
i actually banged on passenger exhaust manifold and no change timing mark with the bypass wire stays at 1:00 position so a bit before the timing tab

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i actually banged on passenger exhaust manifold and no change timing mark with the bypass wire
With the bypass wire CONNECTED? Or did you disconnect it?

stays at 1:00 position so a bit before the timing tab
I can't speak absolutely for certain--'cause I've never hammered the exhaust manifold as a test--but it seems likely that your knock sensor, KS harness, or the KS section of the ECM has failed. Assumes that the one-wire timing connector is still connected and functional.

You still need a scan tool.

mxmotorhead24

Reaction score
With the bypass wire CONNECTED? Or did you disconnect it?

I can't speak absolutely for certain--'cause I've never hammered the exhaust manifold as a test--but it seems likely that your knock sensor, KS harness, or the KS section of the ECM has failed. Assumes that the one-wire timing connector is still connected and functional.

You still need a scan tool.
with the bypass connected, i found out today the replacement ac delco sensor i havent installed yet is in fact for a manual transmission.... which leads me to wonder if the 2nd knock sensor i installed is for an manual transmission as well... currently im trying to track down which wire at the ecm is for the knock sensor signal to verify if there is a short... i understand needing a scan tool but currently cant get my hands on one so been trying to track it down old school

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score