Frame Cut (3/4 ton single cab short bed 4x4)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I want to see how many trucks on here started life as a long bed, and got cut down to a short bed. I am about to do this on a 1998 3/4 ton single cab 5 speed long bed 4x4. I like the single cab short bed i have, but she is having trans troubles again for the millionth time and a want to get away from the auto. My 10 bolt rear is also on its last leg. The 3/4 ton is pretty beat up and the interior is shot, but i can swap the front cap, doors, bed, and interior out of my other truck to it. Both trucks are victory red. The 3/4 ton has the ff 14 bolt in it, not sure of gear ratio yet. I'll post it when i find out. I am dead set on doing this, it's something i have wanted to do for a long time. My dad built wreckers for 25 years and knows pretty much everything about frame fab, we have just never done one exactly like this and i am looking for some pointers. Any advice would be appreciated.

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
I want to see how many trucks on here started life as a long bed, and got cut down to a short bed. I am about to do this on a 1998 3/4 ton single cab 5 speed long bed 4x4. I like the single cab short bed i have, but she is having trans troubles again for the millionth time and a want to get away from the auto. My 10 bolt rear is also on its last leg. The 3/4 ton is pretty beat up and the interior is shot, but i can swap the front cap, doors, bed, and interior out of my other truck to it. Both trucks are victory red. The 3/4 ton has the ff 14 bolt in it, not sure of gear ratio yet. I'll post it when i find out. I am dead set on doing this, it's something i have wanted to do for a long time. My dad built wreckers for 25 years and knows pretty much everything about frame fab, we have just never done one exactly like this and i am looking for some pointers. Any advice would be appreciated.

This one is ugly and not a reg cab cab but it was a long box
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4300229673.html

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
His body lines are not even close. I believe i can do a much better job at it. I was hoping i can see some pics of exactly where they cut the section out of the frame.

This is an older truck so i'm not sure if the wheel base is the same length but it might help
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=123624

And this is a members truck, he shortened the frame but it was already a short box

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...-junk-to-Camo-d/page18&highlight=dirtridinz71

98_k1500

Reaction score
This is an older truck so i'm not sure if the wheel base is the same length but it might help
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=123624

And this is a members truck, he shortened the frame but it was already a short box

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...-junk-to-Camo-d/page18&highlight=dirtridinz71

That 68 was done correctly, Im just hoping that someone with a gmt400 will chime in with some build pics. Its not that terribly hard to do to most trucks, figuring out where you want the extra 2 feet to come out of is usually the hardest part.

98_k1500

Reaction score
It looks like the extended cab in the second post has just had the spring hangers moved forward and the rear of the frame chopped off. This may actually not be too bad an idea depending on how the bed fits back on it.

98_k1500

Reaction score
I know outalne94z71's mudwasp was a long bed. i don't know which way his was done.

98_k1500

Reaction score
I'm thinking sliding the spring hangers forward 2 feet may be the best option. Then all i would have to do is cut the rear of the frame off, and re mount the bumper and receiver hitch, re-do the brake lines and shock mounts. i wonder if a short wheel base bed will bolt to the front bed mounts of a long wheel base?

konajoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ORD Ultimate Adventure truck prep - '99 K2500 shortbed build that was posted over on Pirate4x4. They ended up building a custom bed for the truck.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/985334-ord-ultimate-adventure-truck-prep-99-k2500-shortbed.html

Sooner or later someone is going to wonder about the "shortbed" part:

Here's what it looked like before, at least the frame part:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's what it looks like after yesterday's fun:

It's missing 15" now, which should put the wheelbase in the 117" range. Maybe a bit more since our SAS brackets will move the axle forward a bit.

Here's the splice under the cab, it'll have a diamond shaped reinforcing patch when it's finished.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Why don't you just do measurement's to figure it out ? find the center of the wheel well of the back wheels then mesure to the front and then to the back.. do it for both boxes. Then you should be able to figure out how much you need to take out. Shorten your frame, youll need to cut infront of the rear wheel and the back. I think its something like a foot infront of the wheels and 6 inches behind. (don't quote me on that though) Then look for a short box and install that one. Shortening your box by cutting a section out would be a huge job and you would have to be pretty good at body (not sure how good you are, not saying your bad)