Frame coating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
CorrosionX is a good oil coating. Pressure washer prep and two years after treatment...

You must be registered for see images attach

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have done my back half 3 times now

first was just undercoating lasted one summer before needing to be re done
second was por 15. lasted 3 months of summer before all coming off
third was rustolem gloss black going into second winter and still looks like the day I did it.

i have since used rustolem on a few trucks with the same results. everything i have used por 15 on has had to be redone in a short amount of time, including my rockers.

zchrisz

Reaction score
wondering what rustoleum also, the kid i bought my truck from did the frame in some rustoleum, it still looks great and it's pretty thick and hard

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you have a very unlimited pocket and don't mind getting extensive, there is a rubber spray that is just like the old timers used that is almost pure rubber. It is like 40 dollars a can and it doesn't go to far and you need a special gun to spray it but it offers the best protection because it is almost pure rubber its called body shield... Napa sells it. It looks good in my opinion but like I said it requires a good pocket to fund. I personally would go with a smoother and glossier finish. The rougher something is, the more it will hold mud, dust, salt.... as a rule, glossy is smoother as well, thus easier to clean... The best way around spending a lot would be to cheaply coat the frame with a coating that will not break down with diesel fuel, and every so often coat everything with diesel fuel. Another good but pricey product is chassis saver.

Last edited:

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
stupid question/thought...I wonder how durable that rustoleum never wet stuff is.... it would make washing a truck so easy and nice not to mention salt and junk shouldn't stick to it

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of rustoleum ?

just regular gloss black wire brushed off degreased and brushed on. i bought a spray can and sprayed up into the rails and into the areas i could not get a brush. the only area on my truck not done is the top and inside of the frame directly under the cab. i had the bed, tank, drivetrain, front clip removed. also if you get a spot that gets messed up you can just brush some on or hit it with a rattle can

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/protective-enamel

blazin8556

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone have any experience with the vht chassis and roll bar paint? i thought about the por for my 98 but don't feel like recoating it later and really not wild about the $$ it costs.