Found this today. Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No.

Cut the U-bolts. Hack-saw, abrasive disc on a die-grinder, smoke wrench...there's zero reason to unscrew the nuts.

The broken U-bolt could be removed with ONE cut, on the leg opposite the broken side.

MAYBE you can save the mounting plate at the bottom. Kinda unlikely based on how they look now.

I've seen axle tubes that have severe rust in the U-bolt area, too. In my case, I took a chance on re-using the axle assembly, and "so far, so good".
Sure, cutting works but those mounting plates are absolutely not reusable. They're trash.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jack the truck up so the weight is off the springs. ( Cutting the bolts with weight on is like you being the mouse trying to get the cheese, snap faster than you can say " oh crap" ) So the tire will only be carrying the axle weight.
With that much cancer eating the lower mount clamp it's strength is probably 50% to 30% of what it should be.
When install replacement lower mounts if there are not drain holes in center lowest area, drill some to help prevent cancer, let's water and dirt drain out.
Good luck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jack the truck up so the weight is off the springs. ( Cutting the bolts with weight on is like you being the mouse trying to get the cheese, snap faster than you can say " oh crap" )
Or just replace one U-bolt at a time, in which case the "other" U-bolt carries the load just fine. No danger, no problem. Of course, you'd replace the broken one first. This assumes the lower plate is still in reasonable condition; and the plates in this case may well be beyond their service life.

I had a broken U-bolt on my '97 K2500; I replaced that one U-bolt. The others can be replaced "later" as they have some rust and narrowing, but not like the one that broke, or the ones on my '88 K1500.

When install replacement lower mounts if there are not drain holes in center lowest area, drill some to help prevent cancer, let's water and dirt drain out.
The way I remember my '88, the lower plate has drain holes...but they get plugged with dirt/pebbles/leaves/garf/garfelderfarb. They "looked" terrible. A few minutes in the glass-bead cabinet, and some paint...they appeared to be just fine in terms of structural integrity.

I drilled somewhat larger holes in each one, and told myself that I'd inspect 'em now and then. That was about a decade ago, and I haven't given it a thought until typing this post. Shame on me.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with these.
You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah ATS is good... i went with them for all new bushings, shackles, springmounts and ubolts for my 1993 c3500

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In response to his plan was " replacing the lower mount also " . I agree with the one at time if your just replacing one or both.

brningdawn

Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses. I incorrectly assumed the lower mount was welded on and it would be something I couldn’t do myself. Not the first time I’ve been wrong and realized I was an idiot. Just don’t tell my wife I said that. Thanks again.