Found my problem or rather it found me today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my son's truck, I filled it up with 87 on our first test drive before I realized how shot the 4.3 was. This was roughly early 2021. The LS swap and "restoration" took over a year to finish. The fuel was fine. I finally filled it up for the first time since the engine swap last month. (We don't drive it much. I still haven't gotten it inspected.)

Maybe gas is blended different down here, but no problems with ~15 month old gas.

E-gads

Reaction score
AC Delco is the only pump I'd put in. And clean the tank inside and out. A lot of dirt and grit gets trapped around the outside of the fuel pump. If you don't clean it off it can fall in your tank when you take your pump out and kill your new fuel pump. I strain the gas through a filter before putting it back in the tank.

Here's the thing about AC Delco. Three levels of parts. Used to be GM, professional and advantage lines. Now it's GM original equipment, AC Delco Gold and Silver parts. GM and Gold parts both are usually made in USA . AC Delco Silver is a value line and most often manufactured offshore. I try to stay with the first two. You can check part numbers on acdelco.com.

It is really disheartening the way the aftermarket parts situation is. Sure you get a lifetime guarantee with a lot of them but who wants to spend their lifetime replacing the same parts. Just last weekend, installed a Cardone steering gear in my son-in-laws Tahoe because we couldn't find a GM one. The Cardone part was bad out of the box. Actually replaced it with a Duralast and it fixed his problem. Desperate times lead to desperate measures. I cannot imagine what it's like to be a mechanic and having to deal with that on customers cars. How many times can you tell a customer that it's bad parts that are the problem before they start to think it's the mechanic?

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something that stuck with me was how the fuel is what cools the pump so making sure you have a 1/4 tank or more of gas made sense to me. Here we see lots of equipment with fuel lines eaten up by the ethanol and carbs full of gooey crap. Not big fans of the corn industry being supported by us with our fuel. Doesn't seem like we can do anything about the quality of parts or the gas.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Something that stuck with me was how the fuel is what cools the pump so making sure you have a 1/4 tank or more of gas made sense to me.

Myth...maybe once was true? The fuel pump sits in a resevoior of gas in the fuel pump housing assembly. It's surrounded with gas even when the level of the tank is lower.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lmfao @ someone saying gas older than 6months old should be considered "bad" ... we can thank unscrupulous politicians and the American corn lobby for that. (ethanol added to gas to permanently subsidize the corn industry) ... I remember back in the pre-ethanol days of going to a junkyard and firing up cars that had been sitting for DECADES using the old, stale gas in their tanks. Ethanol absorbs moisture regardless of how many stabilizers the industry swears they mix in with their gas which is why it turns gasoline unusable after a year or two - thats why I ONLY use boat gas (non ethanol) in my lawn equipment on account of how long they sit before being used.
The nearest gas station to my house only sells ethanol-free, and it's what I always have in my gas cans. Even still it only lasts about 6 months.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
sooo ready for this? I got a free minute today after lunch and decided to play around with it. I meant to just turn the truck to accessory so I could pin out the Relay just to make sure its getting enough juice. without thinking I went to start it and to my Suprise it fired up instantly and idled just fine. Honestly ran like a top. I didn't drive out of the yard but with a load on it , it still felt good. I let it run for 20 minutes with zero issues. (wanted to burn off some of that gas in case I end up dropping the tank.) Then I turned it off recranked it and every so often Id get a Hard start or a weak start. Looking back It I dont think Ive personally changed the fuel pump in 120k miles But Im kinda confused now