Found my problem or rather it found me today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was recent conversation on pumps and somebody said Denso looked really solid. Also Delphi in rockauto(by description) seem to have some upgraded parts-connectors and stuff-so that may be a good option.
But measure the currents on relay first-it may be coincidence it stopped working after putting new fuel/additives in. I recently wrote about my issue and it turned up to be lose/broken wire from the PCM. This video is pretty good-tho you probably have experiance with it-but in case you forgot,a refresher.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try starting it again, and if it won't start, hit the bottom of the tank right under the pump, and try again..... that got me home a time or two when mine was going out.

I put a Denso pump in my truck. They can be expensive depending on exactly which one your truck needs. I was able to get one at a decent price through Advance Auto (online) in 2018. It's made in China, but probably in a Denso owned factory, and they're pretty good on quality. It did take a awhile to actually get it, as it was shipped directly from a Denso warehouse in California.

The dealer purchased AC Delco is what had pooped out, and unknown to me at the time was the source of my hard starts that I had endured for a few years, thinking it was injectors.
Oh yes-it was 454 who mentioned Denso lmao

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dwk-9-250 and two of

Replace the pump in the tank with a piece of tubing with a Fuel tank "sock"

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-k405 for 3/8" tubing -or-

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-k404 for 5/16" tubing

Should be 3/8".

No more dropping the tank to change the pump!
Thx Frank for that-I was thinking about that and you justed served it on a plate

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Berryman's can bring old fuel back from the dead-ish well enough to burn it. It adds back some of the volatility to help it burn. Engines like old lawn mowers and the like are more tolerant of old fuel once warmed up.

I drain as much as I can out mix in some Berryman's, put it in the '46 Farmall A and add some to the fresh gas I put in whatever I drained it out of.

Father-in-law was a small engine mechanic. He wouldn't keep fuel for more than a month. Mostly what he did was clean out fuel systems in lawn equipment with dead gas in it from the previous year.

It's mostly toluene.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dwk-9-250 and two of

Replace the pump in the tank with a piece of tubing with a Fuel tank "sock"

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-k405 for 3/8" tubing -or-

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-k404 for 5/16" tubing

Should be 3/8".

No more dropping the tank to change the pump!
This is a awesome idea but In order for me to do it Id have to take off work to do it as I dont have a custom shop around here i trust I can run it by the only guy in town that i allow to touch my trucks if he would but he usually stays away from custom as its harder for him to gauge his hourly rate on stuff like this. and now its 2 weeks before I got a offroad trip planned. I wont have the time to pre-work my clients and have some time to get the truck fixed. sadly Ill probably get a regular pump put back in it for the time being. Sucks that this stuff always seems to happen on my busy season. but as life goes. Might be a fall upgrade though for sure. have you done this swap if i run into a snag?

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Try starting it again, and if it won't start, hit the bottom of the tank right under the pump, and try again..... that got me home a time or two when mine was going out.

I put a Denso pump in my truck. They can be expensive depending on exactly which one your truck needs. I was able to get one at a decent price through Advance Auto (online) in 2018. It's made in China, but probably in a Denso owned factory, and they're pretty good on quality. It did take a awhile to actually get it, as it was shipped directly from a Denso warehouse in California.

The dealer purchased AC Delco is what had pooped out, and unknown to me at the time was the source of my hard starts that I had endured for a few years, thinking it was injectors.

Ill check into them Again the main issue is i feel like some of the replacement parts for these trucks have lost their quality making them last less and less time between replacements but Ill check into these never heard of them thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't replace an electric fuel pump without first verifying that it's getting proper voltage/amperage. A multimeter and a low-amps probe makes this fairly easy. The 10-amp ammeter built-into many multimeters can be used, too. Typical amperage draw is 6--7 amps. Keep in mind that the fuse on the multimeter amperage circuit tend to be hard-to-find, and EXPENSIVE. At least, they are on my Fluke 88.

GM is kinda stingy with the copper in the fuel pump wire harness; not unusual to have a couple of volts of voltage drop on the supply and ground. But with the engine running, and the pump running, at least check for voltage to the pump, and voltage on the ground wire AS CLOSE TO THE PUMP AS PRACTICAL. For the supply, this is typically at the most-rearward connector body before the harness goes up between tank and body. 11+ volts on the supply, (more is better) and maybe one volt or less (less preferred) on the ground.

In-tank wire harnesses are typically corroded. Replace 'em. Available at any parts store as an aftermarket part--generally with longer wires than the OEM harness, but the same connector bodies.

The number-one cause of early fuel pump failure is debris in the fuel tank that didn't get cleaned-out.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
This is a awesome idea but In order for me to do it Id have to take off work to do it as I dont have a custom shop around here i trust I can run it by the only guy in town that i allow to touch my trucks if he would but he usually stays away from custom as its harder for him to gauge his hourly rate on stuff like this. and now its 2 weeks before I got a offroad trip planned. I wont have the time to pre-work my clients and have some time to get the truck fixed. sadly Ill probably get a regular pump put back in it for the time being. Sucks that this stuff always seems to happen on my busy season. but as life goes. Might be a fall upgrade though for sure. have you done this swap if i run into a snag?
I have done this on Frank and my wife's Astro.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an in-tank fuel pump. They are quieter and generally last longer than an external pump.

The only downsides are noise and changing the pump.
External is easier.
The pump I recommended is enough for the engine even when it's mostly worn out.
A little overkill makes for reliability. Belt and suspenders kinda guy.

I fully agree with Shurkey about the harness being suspect.
When I did the external swap I replaced the entire harness with 12ga wire. Absolutely overkill, bit if it breaks half of the strands in the wire it's still adequate. Also the wire is more robust in the first place.

I hate fixing the same thing twice.

thebigcar

Reaction score
lmfao @ someone saying gas older than 6months old should be considered "bad" ... we can thank unscrupulous politicians and the American corn lobby for that. (ethanol added to gas to permanently subsidize the corn industry) ... I remember back in the pre-ethanol days of going to a junkyard and firing up cars that had been sitting for DECADES using the old, stale gas in their tanks. Ethanol absorbs moisture regardless of how many stabilizers the industry swears they mix in with their gas which is why it turns gasoline unusable after a year or two - thats why I ONLY use boat gas (non ethanol) in my lawn equipment on account of how long they sit before being used.