forged lower control arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Osteoblast

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

since the lower control arms for the GMT400 are discontinued I was wondering if the '99 Silverado LCAs work as well?
( https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6120741&cc=1353697&jsn=10632 ?)

I'm rebuilding my front suspension and I want to change the welded LCAs.
I guess the forged ones are more rigid and they wont rust from the "inside", like the hollow welded ones.

Is there a source where I can order any forged LCA which will fit into my '98 Tahoe 4WD?

If not, what LCAs do fit? K2500, Suburban....

Thank you!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
GMT-800 arms won't work.

Lower control arms are not considered a wear part. Why do you want to replace them? You can replace the ball joints and bushings.

If you are trying to swap from the stamped steel to forged, just get them on ebay, or a local salvage yard, and clean them up..... media blast or wire wheel, then paint and then replace the bushings and ball joints.

Osteoblast

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GMT-800 arms won't work.

Lower control arms are not considered a wear part. Why do you want to replace them? You can replace the ball joints and bushings.

If you are trying to swap from the stamped steel to forged, just get them on ebay, or a local salvage yard, and clean them up..... media blast or wire wheel, then paint and then replace the bushings and ball joints.

As I said, since I'm rebuilding the front I'm trying to replace all rotten and weak parts.
The welded LCA is rotting from within...hollow.

And I'm sitting in a country where salvage yards store Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and VW... Chevys are rare.
Rockauto works very well, but unfortunately they don't have them.
So, maybe someone knows a source where to buy online like rockauto.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
As I said, since I'm rebuilding the front I'm trying to replace all rotten and weak parts.
The welded LCA is rotting from within...hollow.

Get them media blasted. Just because they have rust doesn't mean that they aren't serviceable. If too much metal is gone, then you will need new ones..... new meaning different, not of recent manufacture.

And I'm sitting in a country where salvage yards store Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and VW... Chevys are rare.

That would have been helpful to know form the start.

Rockauto works very well, but unfortunately they don't have them.
So, maybe someone knows a source where to buy online like rockauto.

No one, because no one has EVER had them, besides GM dealers. They are not considered a wear part. You will need to get used control arms. Check ebay, to see if you can find a seller that will ship to your country. You might find a salvage yard that ships internationally as well.

If you do a search here on the forum, you should be able to find the part numbers for the forged arms. That's the way that you will want to search ebay.

You may be accustomed to replacing the whole control arm when needing ball joints or bushings.... that is not way it's done with our trucks. Upper control arms have been available for a few years, as the method of replacing the whole control arm as a unit is becoming more prevalent, but you will NOT find that for the 4wd lowers.... they don't exist, and never have outside of original GM parts from the dealer, and even then they probably would not have included ball joints or bushings.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Germany is correct :)
Thanks again :cheers:

There is a '98-'00 K2500 with what I believe are forged LCAs in my local yard. I'll check when I go back on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll get a price while I'm there.

It looks like FedEx international shipping would run approximately $251 US. On top of parts.