Forged lower control arm bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
They dont but the bushings are the same iirc. I swapped to forged from a 2500 suburban and used the poly bushings

Stamped arms use bushing with shells, and the forged arms do not. I suppose the poly bushings without shells might be the the right size for the forged arms, but they don't seem to be labeled that way.... at least not the ones I got from Prothane (never installed). I don't remember anything about Energy.

Your picture is too small.... and if I click on it, I just get Photobuckets home page. Looks like they're installed from the outside? That's what I remember from when I had mine off..... I blasted and painted them in 07, but left the OEM bushings. I wish I would have changed them now, but I was pressed for time.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Yes, the are pressed in from the outside. I'll have to double check my receipts, the poly bushings have sleeves that go through the ID of the bushing and the bolts go through those

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put Prothane bushings on my 96 K1500. What a royal PIA......

I took the A-arms to a mechanic friend of mine who had a 30 ton shop press, but the arms were too wide to fit so he used his extra heavy duty SnapOn ball joint press and his 3/4" drive impact to remove the factory bushings. They came out grudgingly. I helped him install the poly bushings and he had to hammer away with the impact for quite some time for the lowers. He said he's never had that problem before even on medium duty trucks. For those who want to install poly bushings, buy extra grease, and I would definitely clean the inside of the A-arms.

In hindsight.......despite having almost 220K on the odometer--and being driven on mag chloride treated dirt roads--the factory bushings were fine. The poly bushings made no difference in ride or how the truck handled. More so, the friggin' poly bushings SQUEAK in temps much below 40 degrees. Nobody told me this until after the fact.......sheesh.

If I was to replace bushings again I would use the factory rubber ones.

When I replaced my rear springs with 5 leaf on both my 96 and 97 K1500's I made sure to use AC/Delco bushings on the springs, but the shackle to frame bushing wasn't available from ACDelco so I think I used what Autozone offered.

As an added note one of the best things I have done to those two trucks are the 5 pack rear leaf springs. I used the 2025 lb rated Husky springs and if it changed the ride quality I can hardly tell, gave the trucks more control and carries a load MUCH better.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When I replaced my rear springs with 5 leaf on both my 96 and 97 K1500's I made sure to use AC/Delco bushings on the springs, but the shackle to frame bushing wasn't available from ACDelco so I think I used what Autozone offered.

The Autozone upper control arm bushings I picked up for some G3500 arms were US made.