For the Corvette guys on GMT 400 dot com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Without watching I'll give the Cliff's notes. You need to start this process with 3 things: money, money, and money.

Well, maybe you'll like this one...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Or, this one? 1966 427 big-block, Baby! To the untrained ear, it sounds like it needs a tune-up. :slap:

Last edited:

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Given that Corvettes were never designed for drag racing, this video demonstrates what they're really designed for. This 1965 brings back great memories of my times on Mosport's 2.5 mi road course, the 'Grand Prix' course...

The above was from Road America.

The below is Mosport...

You must be registered for see images attach

Fun times for a younger guy. ;)

Last edited:

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're going to see one of the largest collections of 1967, 1968 and 1969 L88 Corvettes ever assembled. This event took place at the Indy Speedway in 2018.

You may remember that only 20 of these were built in 1967 and, amazingly, 10 of them are in this video. The '67s in this video are the most valuable with an estimated combined price of $25,000,000, not counting the C3 versions.

Watch, listen, and don't forget to drool... ;)

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Galveston, Corvette - Chevy, show this weekend. I wish I could go, but I just can't make it. I know its going to be huge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220315-125055_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220315-125055_Chrome.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20220315-125036_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220315-125036_Chrome.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20220315-125028_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220315-125028_Chrome.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Amazing to see how much smaller a C2 is, no? Oh, and yes the driver's side front bumper is bent a bit. That's what happens when you actually race on road courses. Below is at Sonoma Raceway.

By the way, BP means small block. AP refers to big block.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Amazing to see how much smaller a C2 is, no? Oh, and yes the driver's side front bumper is bent a bit. That's what happens when you actually race on road courses. Below is at Sonoma Raceway.

The C8 does that to the C5. Here's mine next to a C2. It dwarfs it, but the perspective makes it look even worse than it is.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seeing that beautiful C8 of 0xdeadbeef's reminds me of another yellow Corvette. The rarest production (meaning not a concept or a mule car) Corvette EVER. They built two...only two. The price of each of those two Corvettes was just $70 shy of double the base price, simply by selecting an item on the options list. Yes, doubled!

What was so special about the RPO ZL1? All will be revealed soon. As much as I love my C2, if either of the two cars were available for sale, and if I had that much money :jester:, I'd pick one of these over any other production Corvette ever made. Stay tuned...

NOTE: The odd striping was "factory". Interestingly, the other ZL1 was white and had completely different striping...from the factory.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What was RPO ZL1 anyway? Quite simply, it was a 1969 L88 with, not just aluminum heads, water pump and intake, but the first all-aluminum block too. An aluminum block may not sound very leading edge now, but in 1969 it was a mind-blower. With all that aluminum, this car actually weighed a bit less than a small block of that year.

Here's what the other ZL1 looked like...

Here's a ZL1 on a stand...

If the ZL1 sounds familiar, yes, Chevrolet sold 69 Camaros with this very engine in 1969, as COPO 9560. COPO stands for Central Office Production Option, or in other words, a way around the Chevrolet dealer order book. ;) Oddly, they were NOT badged as Super Sports. They looked like regular Camaros...............until you turned the key. The only other visual clue was that RPO ZL2 cowl-induction raised hood.

Here's a teaser for you. What would happen if you drag-raced a 1969 Camaro ZL1 (with the aluminum block) against a 1969 Corvette L88 (with the cast iron block)? Keep in mind, these cars are running the old polyglas NON-radial tires...absolute crap tires. Imagine the time with cheater slicks.

Is there more to come on the ZL1? Uh, what do you think? :naughty:

Last edited:

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let's have a closer look at the yellow ZL1, currently owned by Roger Judski.

More after you swallow the above.