Fooling Rear O2 Sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Been researching how to fool the rear O2 sensors, can't get a straight answer to my question: will spark plug non foulers work to fool the rear O2 sensors? Gutted the cats on my 97 a couple weeks ago since there was a inefficiency code. Tried getting the cats tuned out with HPTuner, but it's too old.

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't looked in forever, but weren't there plug in boxes that have the computer values?? Baskcally was a little black box with the o2 sensor plug on it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tried getting the cats tuned out with HPTuner, but it's too old.

Just FYI I'm pretty sure Black Bear Performance can tune out the rear O2s in the '96-'97 PCMs. Not sure which program they use to do so but I'm guessing maybe JET DST aka TunerCAT.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Been researching how to fool the rear O2 sensors, can't get a straight answer to my question: will spark plug non foulers work to fool the rear O2 sensors? Gutted the cats on my 97 a couple weeks ago since there was a inefficiency code. Tried getting the cats tuned out with HPTuner, but it's too old.
I have a thread on this already. Click the link and read through the thread
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/remove-your-cats-and-make-a-mini-cat-for-your-rear-02-sensors.30681/

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I just want a cheap fix, would love to spend $300+ on a Black Bear tune, but that's not in my budget currently. I'll probably just get the non foulers and try it without adding honeycomb and see if that changes anything.

Kustombuilt1911

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used the anti foulers on a S10 Blazer with a high flow catalytic converter & it kept the code from coming back. Not sure if it will work with a gutted cat, but worth a try.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just want a cheap fix, would love to spend $300+ on a Black Bear tune, but that's not in my budget currently. I'll probably just get the non foulers and try it without adding honeycomb and see if that changes anything.
The 02 simulators that I built, have been on my truck form over 5 years. Never a CEL. All the info you need is in the link I posted, just click the link.

94_Z71

Reaction score
I removed my rear O2 sensors and had Black Bear tune the computer. Although, the Check Engine light has never worked in my truck, so that might be a problem if you have to pass an inspection where you live.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Gutted cats aren't as good as straight pipes in their place, is that an option? Since money is a factor, just do it Kenny's way or yank the CEL bulb.