Fog Lights in Place of Tow Hooks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn...you're quick. That's pretty much what I was going to show.

I'll opine to not, under any circumstance, buy those repro fogs. They are absolute garbage. I sent the set I got back the next day and managed to get OEM with Curt's help.
For others looking to implement the repros, yes they are exceptionally less expensive, but you must also expect to do more than just a little massaging to get them to point where you want.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Why not? Texas roads are dark.
Some years back, we had a monster lighting thread with some serious information, data, resources, and fantastic minds contributing to what became known as the 'lighting bible' on this forum. It became common knowledge that fog lights are not appropriately used pretty much everywhere, in general.

If one has their high beams on and the hi-four, too, it means they want to see way down the road for safety reasons. With the fog lamps on, they illuminate directly in front of the vehicle and cause your pupils to contract and therefore kill your distance vision.

Fog lights are for just that: fog, rain, snow, and inclement weather, where even your low beams will reflect back to you and blind you. Fogs were meant to see the sides of the road, your lane if you will, at low speeds, turned on by themselves.

That's it in a nutshell...hope this helps.

Last edited:

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some years back, we had a monster lighting thread with some serious information, data, resources, and fantastic minds contributing to what became known as the 'lighting bible' on this forum. It became common knowledge that fog lights are not appropriately used pretty much everywhere, in general.

If one has their high beams on and the hi-four, too, it means they want to see way down the road for safety reasons. With the fog lamps on, they illuminate directly in front of the vehicle and cause your pupils to dilate and therefore kill your distance vision.

Fog lights are for just that: fog, rain, snow, and inclement weather, where even your low beams will reflect back to you and blind you. Fogs were meant to see the sides of the road, your lane if you will, at low speeds, turned on by themselves.

That's it in a nutshell...hope this helps.
Thanks! I read that thread too.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It became common knowledge that fog lights are not appropriately used pretty much everywhere, in general.
Yup. Turn your dash lights as dim as you can and still readily read your gauges. Having the dash lights full bright causes your pupils to contract, making it harder to see the road ahead.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Yup. Turn your dash lights as dim as you can and still readily read your gauges. Having the dash lights full bright causes your pupils to contract, making it harder to see the road ahead.
Yes, indeed....and now after your post, I believe I wrote 'dilate' instead of 'contract' in my post. I'll go fix that. Thanks.