Fog Lights in Place of Tow Hooks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are two different air dams. One has holes for the fog lights, the other has holes for the tow hooks. If you want to just remove your tow hooks and install fog lights in your existing air dam you will need to do some custom fab work because the hole locations and sizes are not the same. 39-7402 is the LMC part number for the air dam with the fog light holes. The fog light assembly they offered that came with the housing and bracket used to bolt right in place. I would assume it still does, but they should be able to confirm. There are fog lights with far better light output and pattern than the LMC ones, but all with require at least some minor fab work to get mounted properly.

Rob7233

Reaction score
LMC calls that lower plastic part a "Valance". Rock Auto calls the same a "Air Dam" (w/o holes). The aftermarket Fog light assembly R & L are relatively cheap (RockAuto) as is the Valance (No holes @ RA/Amazon/Others?, one with Fog light holes or tow hook holes @ LMC Truck). One way to cut the holes for both/Tow and Fog is to use an ocillating tool with a fine blade (Harbor Freight?). The only unknown for me is where do the factory mount fog light assemblies normally mount? I don't that would be hard to figure out. Run the wires, mount a switch and enjoy both!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish an aftermarket company would've designed an OE appearing airdam that had both, but alas...
There never was, and still isnt, enough desire to design, produce, market, and sell enough air dams, to customers to mount both OE style fog lights AND tow hooks, to be profitable.
I figure that number to be somewhere in the low thousand...

Yes, you could do what @Rob7233 wrote. It's a good suggestion.
I know my tracing and cutting skills are sub par, I know I'd screw up the cut and it would always catch my attention and disappointment...

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run the OE style fogs with tow hooks on my suburban. The lights I got were repros, easy to source and the included brackets bolt to the bottom of the bumper using the same bolts that hold the air dam up. Trace an outline and zip it out with a Dremel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Fog lights are controlled via a 2nd dome light switch in the dash that triggers an under hood relay. Power was drawn for the switch from the parking light power wire so when the lights are off the switch sees no power. Looks good enough for me and don't have to shell out cash for a fog light switch that won't even let me keep them on with the high beams.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I run the OE style fogs with tow hooks on my suburban. The lights I got were repros, easy to source and the included brackets bolt to the bottom of the bumper using the same bolts that hold the air dam up. Trace an outline and zip it out with a Dremel.

Fog lights are controlled via a 2nd dome light switch in the dash that triggers an under hood relay. Power was drawn for the switch from the parking light power wire so when the lights are off the switch sees no power. Looks good enough for me and don't have to shell out cash for a fog light switch that won't even let me keep them on with the high beams.
Out of curiosity...why would you want the fog lamps on with the high beams?

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Are there any fog lights that would fit the openings in the front valance where the tow hooks stick out on my 1999 Suburban? I don't need tow hooks, but I could sure use some good fog lights
I have to look at my truck to see, but I may have a set that would work well in that location....and they are quality lamps. Marchals that were OEM on a Buick. I'll find the page on my thread that shows and discusses them. I also have OEM GM fogs as well.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the Marchal lights. Model 150 Fog Lights.

They are still a custom mount. And they are still OEM style output.

For my money I'd change out the air dam for the fog version, buy the reproduction OEM lights and try them out. If they don't perform well enough, then it would be easy enough to adapt a brighter or wider flood / more focused spot to that OEM style mount. These DEPO reproductions are sold under the GM part numbers 2592106 and 2593106. They are about $45 each on Rockauto and less on Ebay.

You can splice on your own connector plugs or buy the OEM style from Mouser.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Here are the Marchal lights. Model 150 Fog Lights.

They are still a custom mount. And they are still OEM style output.

For my money I'd change out the air dam for the fog version, buy the reproduction OEM lights and try them out. If they don't perform well enough, then it would be easy enough to adapt a brighter or wider flood / more focused spot to that OEM style mount. These DEPO reproductions are sold under the GM part numbers 2592106 and 2593106. They are about $45 each on Rockauto and less on Ebay.

You can splice on your own connector plugs or buy the OEM style from Mouser.
Damn...you're quick. That's pretty much what I was going to show.

I'll opine to not, under any circumstance, buy those repro fogs. They are absolute garbage. I sent the set I got back the next day and managed to get OEM with Curt's help.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
It sort of starts here:

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn...you're quick. That's pretty much what I was going to show.

I'll opine to not, under any circumstance, buy those repro fogs. They are absolute garbage. I sent the set I got back the next day and managed to get OEM with Curt's help.
I've got a set of the reproductions. And I bought a pair of OEM GM fog lights without brackets to use with the reproduction brackets, which bumped the price up a little more.