Fluids for new GM L31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98Bacon

Reaction score
I just received my new GM L31 (2 bolt) and I'm wondering what the experts (you guys) would run for fluids. Surprisingly the paperwork was not specific. I'm mostly interested in oil, coolant and ATF.

Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My '97s both get Pennzoil conventional 5W-30 for engine oil, Prestone Dex-Cool for coolant, and GM/ACDelco Dexron 6 for ATF. They've been doing just fine for the past 22 years on that diet, with the exception of switching from Dexron 3 to Dexron 6 ATF when GM made that change.

98Bacon

Reaction score
Thanks df2x4. Is Prestone global considered a good option? I ask partly because I have 3 gallons unopened in my garage.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Prestone global considered a good option? I ask partly because I have 3 gallons unopened in my garage.
Use it. I mix my coolant with distilled or reverse-osmosis water. For fukk sakes, don't ever buy Premixed--50/50 coolant. Half of what you're buying is water, and quality water is as close as any supermarket for under a dollar a gallon.

I have gallons of Dex/Merc (Dexron III equivalent) already purchased, so that's what I use. I don't keep it in the vehicle until it turns to sludge, and nothing I own is new enough to require Dex VI. Dex/Merc works for me.

I'm partial to Amsoil XL 5W-30 Many "Synthetic" oils are in fact NOT synthetic, they've paid-off the politicians and bureaucrats so that they can legally screw the consumer by selling "treated" petroleum oil using the word "Synthetic" on the label. Amsoil is "real" synthetic.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run Mobil One 5w30 in mine prior to the first start. Broke it in on Mobil One just fine. That is what GM puts in the LS1s going down the assembly line. Nissan Green coolant. I wouldn't put Dexcool in my lawnmower if it had a radiator.

98Bacon

Reaction score
I think I'll run Pennzoil 5w-30 conventional for the first couple oil changes (500 miles or so) because that is what Chevrolet recommends.

98Bacon

Reaction score
Not sure if this is provided by Chevy or Jegs but it came with the packet on the crate motor.

Attachments

• chevy _crate_engine_break-in (1).pdf
    14.2 KB · Views: 5

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta be Jegs propaganda, because GM wouldn't have mis-spelled "Lisle" and GM hasn't recommended 10W-40 oil in decades. Ten-Forty was EEEEeeeevil when I was in the dealership in the mid-1980s.