Flip kit with lifting shakle on a leaf spring that has helper leaf for 5 inch drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrbrown510

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so heres the deal.can you install a flip kit on leaf springs that have a helper spring leaf installed or not? The reason it has a helper spring is because the last owner removed a leaf and the truck was bouncy and was cheaper to add this helper leaf than to buy a whole new set. The picture is just for reference its not the actual c1500 just a pic from google to give u an idea.

Attachments

• images (26).jpeg
    images (26).jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 9-Installed-Hellwig-Helper-Springs-Install-2-17-16.jpg
    9-Installed-Hellwig-Helper-Springs-Install-2-17-16.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 16

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see the logic behind the thinking, but feel the result will be a gamble, and you'd be better off getting a stock set of leaf packs and do your flip. Recoup a little cash by selling the helper springs to someone that can use them for their regular purpose. You don't have to go buy new, just get used ones but look at 'em closely before buying. Unless the truck was obviously abused, your typical C1500 won't have worn or broken leafs.

Richard

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did my shackle flip I got new springs as well. 100% worth it.

Edit: I just realized you meant a different kind of flip but still, why come this far just to take a shortcut on the springs? Just get yourself a fresh set of 1500 springs and decent shocks. It makes a night and day difference.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Still have to notch the frame for a 5".
Just a mini. Doesn't have to be a regular bolt-in aftermarket notch.

You must be registered for see images attach

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would just buy a set of new leaf spring pack. This way you’re not guessing as to their condition dot have to pull the apart see what’s cracked, refurbish then and you never know how much abuse the pack had with the previous truck use so you’re not installing some worn out leaf packs. . I can see if they would be a thousand bucks but you’re looking at $140 each at SD truck springs so say $350 to your door adding tax and shipping?