Flasher relay took out battery? Or ajar switch took out flasher? Help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1998 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Extended Cab 5.7L Auto

Hey guys I was going to do my passenger window regulator and my blower motor resistor this weekend, so on Friday I took the passenger door panel off, and taped over the ajar switch using T-Rex tape, then ordered my parts for Saturday morning. I came out to my rig Saturday morning and the tape had broken and the ajar switch was sticking out, so I assume it put the lights on and killed my battery overnight. The weird part is that my flasher relay was clicking non-stop that morning as well, not enough juice left in the battery to even attempt to crank over, so I just disconnected it, and moved it to the other side of the engine bay, and said I'll worry about it Monday.
Well here I am on Monday, battery on the charger at work, wondering whether to just order a new flasher and replace it along with the other two parts, or should I try to replace the others and see if the flasher is fine still? Does the flasher just start going berserk if it loses power? Also if I decide to do a flasher, what goes into that? Am I getting in over my head? I don't really wanna break any of my 30 year old plastics lol.

Thanks for any input.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flasher was probably clicking because your security was active. System saw the door "open" and activated.
Flasher is probably fine, but in the event you need to change it, it's located in the driver's footwell, it'll probably take you longer to bend down to get to it than to actually change it.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
UPDATE:
Charged battery, truck starts fine and everything, no more flasher going nuts, gonna leave battery disconnected 'til I can get the window reg. done this weekend, along with the blower motor resistor.

Weird that the flasher went berserk, as far as I know all my security stuff is bypassed, its not a chipkey or anything, although I'm pretty sure the truck had a keyfob 20 years ago so maybe there's a keyless entry/security module somewhere doing something.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The flasher was probably clicking because your security was active. System saw the door "open" and activated.
Flasher is probably fine, but in the event you need to change it, it's located in the driver's footwell, it'll probably take you longer to bend down to get to it than to actually change it.
I looked it up on YouTube and the vid is literally like 1:30 and the first 30 sec is him doing his intro lol.
Doesn't appear to be bad though, so I think it was just the security going off.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:
Charged battery, truck starts fine and everything, no more flasher going nuts, gonna leave battery disconnected 'til I can get the window reg. done this weekend, along with the blower motor resistor.

Weird that the flasher went berserk, as far as I know all my security stuff is bypassed, its not a chipkey or anything, although I'm pretty sure the truck had a keyfob 20 years ago so maybe there's a keyless entry/security module somewhere doing something.
The keyless entry thing was what I was thinking about. Hope it's solved.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My battery - I'm swapping it out at the outlet joint and putting the new one in- everything goes off. Teledyne Carbon 3000, missing fob, disarm sequence (valet switch + ignition) - no siren/pa horn. Got me good.