Fixing fuel gauge after deleting 2nd fuel tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcwren

Reaction score
My '99 3500 HD (7.4L/4L80E) was originally equipped with dual tanks. I'm unclear if one of the previous owners deleted the rear tank or or whatever company put the dump bed on did it (though I suspect it wasn't them).

The problem is the fuel gauge is always indicating empty and it's throwing a P0462 error. Based on the Factory Service Manual, this is expected behavior, since it "knows" the rear tank isn't there, and the fuel level sender for it isn't present. One solution might be to add the rear tank back, but I don't really need it, and it's probably not cheap. The dual tank configuration has the Fuel Pump Balance Module (FPBM), which I presume pumps gas back and forth between tanks based on the fuel levels.

Based on the wiring diagrams, I think I can delete the FPBM, but I'm not sure if it's as simple as merely connecting the front tank sensor directly to the VCM, or if the VCM needs to be reprogrammed.

Looking at the dual tank wiring diagram, the only way that I can figure the VCM knows the FPBM is throwing an error condition would be to drive the fuel tank sender signal from the FPBM to the VCM to either ground or 5 volts (one difference between the single and dual tank configuration is the VCM provides a 5 volt reference signal to the FPBM).

Has anyone deleted one of the tanks and then gotten the fuel gauge to read correctly? Can it be done without reprogramming the VCM?

Iroc-turbo

Reaction score
Im trying to do this very thing.

I read a walkthrough on deleting the tank and fixing fuel gauge.But ive been searching for that walkthrough for over a year now and havent found it. There was a kit that did it all.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im trying to do this very thing.

I read a walkthrough on deleting the tank and fixing fuel gauge.But ive been searching for that walkthrough for over a year now and havent found it. There was a kit that did it all.
I have a link to that on my laptop (I'm on my phone now)... it basically takes the front tank sending wire and splices it to another color wire back to the gauge. as soon as i find it i post it up.

i will be doing the same thing to my truck.

jcwren

Reaction score
I went through the schematics and figured it out. I had posted this on Farcebook in the GMT400 3500HD Trucks And Enthusiasts group, but didn't follow up here (sooo many social media platforms...)

Not sure why a kit would be necessary, unless someone is just out to make a buck.

Disconnect the 5-pin connector from the fuel pump balance module. This is located inside the left frame rail, just behind the fuel filter. Using a piece of 18 gauge or 20 gauge wire, jumper the "B" and "C" pins together. This connects the fuel level sender (pin "C", dark blue/white stripe) from the tank to the fuel level input (pin "B", purple/white stripe) on the VCM.

In a perfect world, you'd find the mating connector, install a jumper between the B and C pins, and put filler plugs in the A, D, and E pins. We all know that's not going to happen, so just wrap it up in electrical tape to keep water out, and tuck it up behind the FPBM.

Voilà, working fuel gauge.

Attachments

• Fuel_Gauge.jpg
    Fuel_Gauge.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 44

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went through the schematics and figured it out. I had posted this on Farcebook in the GMT400 3500HD Trucks And Enthusiasts group, but didn't follow up here (sooo many social media platforms...)

Not sure why a kit would be necessary, unless someone is just out to make a buck.

Disconnect the 5-pin connector from the fuel pump balance module. This is located inside the left frame rail, just behind the fuel filter. Using a piece of 18 gauge or 20 gauge wire, jumper the "B" and "C" pins together. This connects the fuel level sender (pin "C", dark blue/white stripe) from the tank to the fuel level input (pin "B", purple/white stripe) on the VCM.

In a perfect world, you'd find the mating connector, install a jumper between the B and C pins, and put filler plugs in the A, D, and E pins. We all know that's not going to happen, so just wrap it up in electrical tape to keep water out, and tuck it up behind the FPBM.

Voilà, working fuel gauge.
yep that is what i have too, this link has schematic as well

Brian71583

Reaction score
I know I am reviving a year old topic but I am new here. Im trying the search option but not coming up with much. I just purchased a '96 CDLB Dually. Truck is very solid Texas truck up here in PA so it's a rare score but I am finding it to be a wiring nightmare. I'll be asking a bunch of questions around this forum but the relevant question here is... I know my fuel tank is replaced, it appears it originally maybe had dual tanks. Tucked inside the left frame rail before the tank, near the filler is a little box/skid plate type thing that houses a bracket. On that bracket is a clip for something that doesn't exist anymore and a large relay with 4 wires going to it that are completely cut. I do not even see the vehicle side of the cut wires, just the relay side of them.

My educated guess is that this is a balance relay. Correct location, correct type of part, but the wire colors do not match up. I am attaching some pictures of the "pigtail" that was plugged into the relay and the location I am talking about. I THINK my fuel gauge works but I have only driven it once (needs a transmission) and it was nearly full. I do not know what the gauge will do as it comes down lower.

You guys have any insight, the wrong wire colors for everything I find it baffling me.

Attachments

• IMG_4469.JPG
    IMG_4469.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4470.JPG
    IMG_4470.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 17

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one? I thought for sure my answer would be here in this post.

Greetings Brian,

I've been digging into this circuit, and I'm piecing together what I've found.

Hope to post it a little later this evening...

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I am reviving a year old topic but I am new here. Im trying the search option but not coming up with much. I just purchased a '96 CDLB Dually. Truck is very solid Texas truck up here in PA so it's a rare score but I am finding it to be a wiring nightmare. I'll be asking a bunch of questions around this forum but the relevant question here is... I know my fuel tank is replaced, it appears it originally maybe had dual tanks. Tucked inside the left frame rail before the tank, near the filler is a little box/skid plate type thing that houses a bracket. On that bracket is a clip for something that doesn't exist anymore and a large relay with 4 wires going to it that are completely cut. I do not even see the vehicle side of the cut wires, just the relay side of them.

My educated guess is that this is a balance relay. Correct location, correct type of part, but the wire colors do not match up. I am attaching some pictures of the "pigtail" that was plugged into the relay and the location I am talking about. I THINK my fuel gauge works but I have only driven it once (needs a transmission) and it was nearly full. I do not know what the gauge will do as it comes down lower.

You guys have any insight, the wrong wire colors for everything I find it baffling me.

(Insert yours truly emerging from rabbit hole here)

OK @Brian71583, a quick glance at this thread & I dove into the '99 Service Manual, since the '96+ GMT400
OBD2 electrical architecture is 99% the same? Got done with that, and then realized that there *is* one big difference between the
OP's '99 and your '96. Your truck has your fuel sending unit signal wired straight to the gauge, not to the VCM. Phooey! :0)

Proceed to Download both of the '96 Manuals, but I couldn't find the Electrical Wiring section inside either one? Thought I read
somewhere that this might be because a third manual was part of the package back then, and was a known hole in our '96 .pdf cache?
Fudge! :-/

And then someone else working a different issue stated that using the '97 Manuals was a good work-around for '96 Electrical issues?
Pulled those down, and sure enough, I was able to find the Theory of Operation for the fuel quantity indicator system as well
as the schematics to follow. Yes!

It is said that a picture is worth a 1000 words. If your '96 truck came equipped with dual tanks,
then everything to the left of the orange line is what you (are supposed to) have.

Conversely, what little is to the right of the orange line is what single tank trucks have.
Hint: It's ONE wire.

* Lowest reading is ~4 ohms = empty tank.
* Highest reading is 90 ohms = full tank.
* Shorted wire = false empty tank reading.
* Open wire = false full tank reading.

Simple is good. Please note that both the single tank & dual tank
configurations wire up to the exact same spot. (Since the vast majority
of trucks sold were of the single tank variety, part of the job of the Fuel
Pump Balance Module was to make the dual tank setup transparent/compatible
with the stock fuel gauge. (!)

'97 Chevrolet Light Duty C/K Truck Service Manual
You must be registered for see images attach

(NOTE: This page feeds into the instrument cluster on p. 8A-81-0)

And here's the Instrument Cluster page -- look for the Fuel Gage & arrow from p. 4

You must be registered for see images attach

Reading between the lines above, the reader may have gotten the impression that if the 2nd
tank has been removed, then I would prefer to prune back all the Fuel Pump Balance Module
wiring. Affirmative. Because we can. And more importantly, this will make any troubleshooting
down the road 10x more intuitive. Let me explain.

FWIW, I've attached the page where the Fuel level circuit's Theory of Operation is discussed.
Why did I include this? Because it explains that IF the FPBM senses an empty/short on either
tank it will send an EMPTY signal to the gauge. So far, so good.

But guess what the FPBM does if it senses an OPEN on either tank? It decides to again send an
EMPTY signal up to the fuel gauge. Phooey! With the no-nonsense single tank/single wire setup,
a short = false empty, whereas an open = a false full. At least if I lose confidence in the fuel
gauge I still get a hint as to what kind of problem I'm looking for. But if the FPBM senses a
wiring/grounding issue of any kind (or doesn't get power to itself) then it's just a dead fuel gauge.

In English, if there's enough of the harness left over that I can just jumper out the second
tank, that's all well & good...until I get an open...or short...or loss of power sent back to the
FPBM...or the FPBM itself fails? Then the gauge just dies.

But if I prune all that nonsense out of the fuel gauge circuit and revert back to single tank/single wire
simplicity, then not only do the chances of failure go down, but any troubleshooting down the road
becomes much friendlier & more linear IMHO.

Let's end this on a simpler note. The last attachment shows the physical location of the FPBM,
the relay, and assorted bits for your viewing enjoyment.

Apologies for the length, but once I got into the whole "To Jumper, or Not to Jumper,
that is the question" thing I had no choice but to explain why pruning all that dual tank
wiring nonsense out of there (to match the deleted tank) is by far the best long-term solution.

Best of luck sorting this out. Let us know what you end up with. Cheers --

PS: I tried to make sense of the color coding of the wires you took pictures of, but as you can
see in the schematics things weren't matching up.

Attachments

• Fuel gauge circuit theory single & dual tank -- '97 Chevrolet Light Duty CK Truck Service Manu...jpg
    Fuel gauge circuit theory single & dual tank -- '97 Chevrolet Light Duty CK Truck Service Manu...jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 33
  • FPBM physical location -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    FPBM physical location -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: