Fixed Jumping Oil Pressure Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
FYI in case anyone has the same problem, my oil pressure gauge would randomly jump up high off the scale, somwhat related to changing oil pressure. (getting on gas seemed to get needle to normal range when it did this) I suspected the sending unit so I replaced that a few weeks ago and the gauge has worked perfectly since. Also, I would highly recommend getting the special socket for the sender, it cost about $10 and with it you are able to easily change the sender without removing anything else, it literally makes it a 2 minute job.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE? What model year?

The sending unit on my '88 K1500 5.7L craps out about every 3--4 years. No special tool needed--a 9/16 wrench from underneath is all it takes.

When I went to buy one, none of the parts stores show the dash-gauge sending units. I finally tracked down the right part number (BWD S4320) on-line.

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine goes full over to the right if I give it a bit of gas too every now and then. Infact, just Friday last week, it left me stranded outside McDs for an hour and a half because the oil pressure gauge didn't want to work and the 'check gages' light wouldn't go out so couldn't start the truck. I just sat there and made myself sick with the three frozen cokes that I'd bought for me and my mates who I was going to visit after work :Big Laugh:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
might be an early OBD2 thing? 1996+? New cars won't start if it reads low oil level and they'll die or go into limp mode if it looses oil pressure.

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck starts and runs just fine with the "Check Gauges" light lit. Yours doesn't?

What year? What model?

The check gages light would come on if I turned the key to start, and would get nothing. Year and model in my sig, 1993 C1500 350, so OBD1. No codes either.