First things first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Hello there fellow canuck. Some preventative maintenance you should probably consider is changing your fluids. All of them; engine oil and filter, transmission fluid and filter, differential fluid, coolant, power steering for the ***** and gigs. Don't worry about brake fluid, you'll be servicing the brakes soon enough lol.

If you're mechanically inclined, take a look behind your wheels. See what shape your drums and calibers are in. Look for rust on the rear shocks and their mounts, inside the wheel wells, rockers (feel for expansion at the pinch welds), under the carpet if you can especially by the front passenger (be careful taking the doorsill plates off and replace all the screws with stainless steel screws), around your skid plates if you have them, and on your torsion bars.

I could go on but those are the most common issues in with the weather we go through. I'm in southern Ontario though so I deal with salt in the winter too.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel system and vacuum check, if you have a scan tool, may as well throw it on there and check fuel trims to get ahead of any issues that may be creeping up.

Pull plugs and rotor cap to check for fouling.

Find a parking lot, and test the ABS if equipped.

Steering components, particularly the rag joint.

Anything that doesn't feel quite right, just search around for, one of us has probably had the problem before.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run 5w40 on mine, I've got low oil pressure, so it's good for an extra 2-5 psi. Full synthetic. I'll put it back at 5w30 when I rebuild unless I see the oil pressure drop in the summer.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score