First Chevy truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
On mine the compressor is on the passenger side. Sounds like someone has been in there. OTOH mine is a '93 so that may have changed. Someone will know. As others have mentioned the wiper issue can likely be fixed by just heating up the solder joints on the board.

If you do have to go through a full rebuild I can see why you might want to "heat it up" a little while you are in there. My usual advice is to to get the basic truck functional and then add the fun stuff, but you seem to have the experience to avoid the usual pitfalls of putting speed gear on an unsound motor. Good luck with your project, it looks like a nice truck.
TBI motor has AC compressor on the passenger side. Vortec has it on the driver's side. Also the early TBIs, it's the R4 pancake compressor, Vortec has the DA6 or the Sander type.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When pulling the engine, does the wiring harness need to be disconnected from the PCM at the driver's side and pulled across the engine to the passenger side? Or do I just disconnect the connectors at the engine, lift the harness, and pull the engine out underneath it?

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great. How about the fuel lines? Do I disconnect the small hold-down on top of the intake and pull up, or the large threaded fittings just behind the intake? I was surprised not to see a quick connect fitting.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'm down to the block and heads. What's the best way to disconnect the mounts? Unfasten three vertical bolts and a horizontal one on each side?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd remove the horizontal bolts and leave the mount shells on the block for now. You might have to jack the motor up and down a little to get the bolts out.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd remove the horizontal bolts and leave the mount shells on the block for now. You might have to jack the motor up and down a little to get the bolts out.
So only the horizontal bolts hold the motor in place? I removed them, as well as a vertical bolt on each side, but the engine wouldn't budge. Instead, lifting it lifted the whole truck. I thought maybe I missed some mount bolts. Maybe I need to pry between the engine and trans.