First Chevy truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed. The LS is superior as far as factory power, injection, availability and affordability!
Where the old 350 is better, is, low end torque, and longevity. Keeping in mind that the 5.3 was GMs choice to replace the 350 with. I have had my 97 with a 350, 5.7L Vortec for 20 years. I could always out run a stock 5.3L. yes, the LS is the most popular engine swap out there, hands down, and is also the most supported engine swap out there. Yes, it is easier to build a LS and make power with it, but if you want a LS powered vehicle, why are you even fooling with a GMT 400. The LQ9 SS Silverado is a very nice truck, IMO. Or go old school with a 1950s or 1960s truck and LS swap that. Part of the grateness of these trucks, is the 350. The fact that it is the last of the 350s. But hey, in the end, the choices are all up to the owner. We can all do whatever we want with our own trucks.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where the old 350 is better, is, low end torque, and longevity. Keeping in mind that the 5.3 was GMs choice to replace the 350 with. I have had my 97 with a 350, 5.7L Vortec for 20 years. I could always out run a stock 5.3L. yes, the LS is the most popular engine swap out there, hands down, and is also the most supported engine swap out there. Yes, it is easier to build a LS and make power with it, but if you want a LS powered vehicle, why are you even fooling with a GMT 400. The LQ9 SS Silverado is a very nice truck, IMO. Or go old school with a 1950s or 1960s truck and LS swap that. Part of the grateness of these trucks, is the 350. The fact that it is the last of the 350s. But hey, in the end, the choices are all up to the owner. We can all do whatever we want with our own trucks.
I agree. The 350 is an amazing engine and there are still a lot of aftermarket and junkyard parts to be had for them.

But in my opinion, the LS is no less reliable. And I love the GMT 400 for many reasons. It’s just crazy to me that it’s so much easier and cheaper to get real power from them with a carburetor than with the factory fuel injection.

But I agree, it’s the last of the dying pedigree of the 350’s.

But I also think that there’s something to be said for the fact that you can buy a running 5.3 complete with accessories and harness and everything for $500-$600. Then if it makes you feel better do a full refresh and replace gaskets, seals, and even bearings and only be into it for around $1000.

I’m $2500 into my 350 Vortec already and that’s only to get it to around 300 HP. Which is what most LS’s came with stock. Yes, Vortec heads flow better than any other stock GM head, but not as well as any LS heads. Hence a smaller displacement 5.3 having more factory power than a 5.7 Vortec.

Anyway, I’m doing it right and building my truck with the last Gen of the 350. But if I ever have to do it again I would 100% go LS.

Just my personal preference.

It would be the same thing if I ever built a G body Camaro or Trans Am. I would go LS for the cost to HP benefits along with still having OBD-II benefits as well. I just prefer that over a carburetor.

But with all of that being said, people even buy LS’s and pull the fuel injection to go to carburetion!

To each their own.

Besides, the truck I’m building is a tribute truck for my son. His grandfather (his mom’s dad) had a 1995 standard cab stepside. It was a bare bones 2WD with a bench seat and mat floor and a 5 speed and a 305 TBI. As a little kid he used to ride in his Poppy’s lap and drive. Then he bought a newer truck and passed that one down to me and I drove it for years as well.

I bought another 1995 standard cab stepside for that reason. But I wanted 4x4 so I got a Z71. And I also wanted Vortec power with OBD-II, so I bought a 1996 Tahoe donor vehicle.

Anyway, the spirit will be the same, but not much else about the truck will be. But I’m going to hang onto it after my son joins the military until he’s married with kids of his own. Then he’s welcome to have it back and he and his son/daughter can do phase 2!! Maybe LS time by then!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But in my opinion, the LS is no less reliable. And I love the GMT 400 for many reasons. It’s just crazy to me that it’s so much easier and cheaper to get real power from them with a carburetor than with the factory fuel injection.
Let me throw my $0.02 into this discussion. When my 88 C1500 5.7L TBI blew its head gaskets, I looked into Vortec and LS swaps but, decided to see what fun I could have with TBI. Yeah it cost more than a JY LS swap but, I wanted more low end torque and better power throughout up to over 5 grand. I'm happy with the results running on a bored 4.6mm TBI (among other go fast stuff) AND old school EFI that tunes itself 200 times a second as opposed to once a week with a toilet bowl on top. It's an electronically controlled toilet bowl which starts and runs fine in different climates and elevations :waytogo: Plus I don't have to pay for any credits or such to tune it!

OK, I'm getting off my soap box now :popcorn:

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me throw my $0.02 into this discussion. When my 88 C1500 5.7L TBI blew its head gaskets, I looked into Vortec and LS swaps but, decided to see what fun I could have with TBI. Yeah it cost more than a JY LS swap but, I wanted more low end torque and better power throughout up to over 5 grand. I'm happy with the results running on a bored 4.6mm TBI (among other go fast stuff) AND old school EFI that tunes itself 200 times a second as opposed to once a week with a toilet bowl on top. It's an electronically controlled toilet bowl which starts and runs fine in different climates and elevations :waytogo: Plus I don't have to pay for any credits or such to tune it!

OK, I'm getting off my soap box now :popcorn:
Again, the fun part is doing your own thing and something different than what you’ve done before. This Vortec build I’m currently doing is fun for sure. But also pricey. So my next build will probably be an LS!

Here’s the truth. I just want to build an LS engine, period. I don’t even care for what. But something sporty for sure, but that will also handle really well, not just go really fast in a straight line.

What I’m actually thinking about is making an AWD OBS by starting with a 4x4 standard cab short bed. Like they one that LT Tolman did for project Red Tide on Power Nations Truck Tech. So basically build an OBS version of a Silverado SS. 2WD sport trucks are cool, and definitely can be burnout monsters. But they struggle putting the power to the ground because they have no weight in the back. Once you’ve driven a powerful vehicle that’s got amazing handling and power, it’s hard to go back to just fast in a straight line. Perfect balance and weight distribution makes a car so much more fun to drive based on the driving style that I prefer.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you spend your money on? Roller rockers and a $500 'hot cam'?
no.

Machine work. Custom grind 4/7 swap hydraulic roller cam. Long slot steel rocker arms. Head work and valve job, upgraded valve springs, converted to bolt in rocker studs and cut down valve seal seats for higher lift and bolt in strength vs the factory press in style. Plus the block cleaning, decking, and boring.030 over. Crank journal polishing. Pressing the new pistons onto the factory rods.

But I appreciate the jab! Roller rockers and an off the shelf, “hot cam”!

I’m slightly more educated than that.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last few pages of this show you all of the stuff I’ve bought and spent $$ on. I’m not saying that it was all necessary or required. Because 100% a lot of it serves no purpose except cosmetics. And some of it is cosmetic stuff that I bought because I had to replace worn or rusty factory parts anyway.

My build