First Chevy truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you need to separate the engine and transmission before trying to lift the engine out.

Remove the starter
Remove the torque converter bolts
Remove all the bolts holding the engine and transmission together
Use a prybar to separate the engine and transmission until the dowels are clear
Lift the engine out

You can pull the engine with the torque converter in place, but you have to pull the engine significantly further forward. My engine was seized, so I had to.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the torque converter bolts out. I guess my engine is just seized to the trans, will try prying. On a previous engine pull I had to drive wedges between the two.

Glad to hear I'm not missing any mount bolts, those things are tough to reach.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my engine is just seized to the trans, will try prying. On a previous engine pull I had to drive wedges between the two.
Never force it! Look for any bolts you might have missed. Wiggle the engine around to see if the gaps open and close. If one side of your engine doesn't wiggle open and closed, look there for the bolt(s). The last thing you want to do is break off a bolt flange.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, and the other thing is that the crane on my 1.5 ton hoist is too short.

I am meeting a guy tomorrow to pick up a big one.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cylinders, rockers, pushrods, lifters, and camshaft look good. Crank is a little scored, rod journal #3 took the biggest hit. Main journals 1 and 5 also have some scuffing. Piston skirts are a little scored. So far I've only taken measurements for pushrod lift and crank runout - both are good.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been a while but the engine is completely rebuilt and dropped in. I've almost got everything back together.