First Chevy truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're making quick progress here today! How about the instrument cluster? On one drive with the previous owner the speedometer dropped out. Do I need a new cluster, or is there a fix for this?

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I hadn’t decided to rebuild mine. Literally thousands of dollars in between parts, machine shop, and upgrades. I know it can be done cheaper. But it’s a father/son project, so doing the work and the rebuild was part of it.

But I could have gone to an LS for less $$ with more power.

But good luck with your project!

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I hadn’t decided to rebuild mine. Literally thousands of dollars in between parts, machine shop, and upgrades. I know it can be done cheaper. But it’s a father/son project, so doing the work and the rebuild was part of it.

But I could have gone to an LS for less $$ with more power.

But good luck with your project!
Your son will have that experience and those memories forever.

As for me, I love doing this stuff. For better or worse, I'm not a "drop it in and call it good" kind of guy.

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doors do tend to sag. Replace them with new hinge pin bushings. I grease my hinges to make the bushings last. I still have my originals at 225K no issues

Hood release handles are cheap and pretty straightforward. Plenty of good videos online.

As far as the wipers go, I would start with the wiper relay board under the hood against the firewall. That can make your wipers run erratic. The following link is for a Tahoe but is still a GMT-400. Good luck and let’s see your truck!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
cant you get these motors recalled for free at a dealership?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
on a 25 year old truck..... good luck with that!

the problems with the wiper motors are cold soldered connections. open it up and reflow the plugs solder connections. that will fix the problem but you may as well reflow all of the solder on the board. I have repaired 3 of these now. it's a simply circuit with simply problems.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. That’s why I decided to do it that way.

All I’m saying is that for the dollars to HP #’s, I would have been smarter and better off to do the LS.

Oh well, there’s always phase 2!