First Chevy truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Block bored 0.040" over, crank ground 0.010" under, rods rebuilt, heads cleaned up and milled, deck milled, new pistons, parts clean. The manifold and injection spider were particularly filthy. No performance parts.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do I put the slotted spark plug wire heat shields? Two are slotted and two are not. I figure one of the slotted ones goes in front of the oil dipstick.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please help. Somehow the threads for the oil pressure sender are too large for the one hole where it might thread in, by the distributor, where its connector is located. Did the block have an adapter that got lost?

There was a larger oil hole that I plugged, but that was right below the driver's side head, which wouldn't allow enough room for the sender or anything else.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, there is supposed to be a fitting there between the block and sender, part 12596339. Can anyone confirm that this fitting has smaller male threads that go in the block and larger female threads that accept the sender?

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It runs!

i attached a pressure gauge to that oil port and am working on finding the adapter. It looks like 1/8" NPT going to the block with a 1/4" port for the gauge.

Had a hiccup with the battery in which I stripped the terminal, which I believe caused a bad connection that caused the truck to die when warmed up, but I got that fixed and will just replace the battery since the previous owner discharged it a bunch.

I'm sure there will be plenty more to fix on it. For now I'm glad it runs.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First fires are exciting and scary at the same time. good job. Good looking truck in a rare color.

What’s all that white stuff on the ground though? :hahano:

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mountain snow! Although that photo is from last winter when I bought the beast, we got our first dump a few weeks ago: 16" in two days.

Read about my "fuel pressure" woes here: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/is-fuel-pressure-flow-chart-wrong.59962/

Also now the temp gauge is reading hot. I've got a steady 190 at the sensor, but the sender is sending a hot temp and showing a low resistance. Maybe a pocket of air from when I drained the coolant to replace a leaking block heater with a freeze plug. Maybe a bad sender. And I'm not completely ruling out poor coolant circulation.