First carb swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greenacarina

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am putting a new engine in my 88 truck (tbi and 700r4).
I've got a 350 with a mild cam and vortec heads. I have most everything figured out, but wondering what other people have done for a fuel pressure regulator?
I was planning on keeping the stock pump and using a regulator with a return line to drop my pressure down to about 4 or 5 lbs. It looks like the Holley 12-803bp is what I need, but would like to know what you guys have done?
I am not sure if a mechanical pump is a feasible option while using the stock fuel tank.
This Holley regulator seems spendy to me, considering how simple of a device it is...?
Will the stock fuel pump volume be adequate for my new engine? I know the stock tbi engine is only rated about 220 hp.

Thanks!
Chris

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Holley 12-887 is about $55, but there's also the Mr. Gasket 2015 at $43. Summit Racing's website is pretty good for drilling down to the least expensive option that meets your requirements.

I'm not a fan of the stock fuel pump, and both it and my sending unit were trashed. The Vortec fuel pumps are a drop-in replacement, so I bought them both and installed them in one go.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a mechanical pump on mine. Just rerouted the fuel line to the passenger side. Whent across the gas take crewmembers and then down the passenger side frame rail.
For the sending unit I extended the feed with a compression fitting and pipe and put a fuel sock at the end.