First and Last Bluetop Steering Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This is why I deal with a local rebuilder.
Small two-man old fart shop. Imports to Reefers.
They'll build them pretty well to any ratio. Within reason, of course.
Both mine have/had the SS quick ratio. Same price as a regular rebuild.
Being local, if there was ever to be any prob with the box, I can drive the truck to their service door & the very guy that rebuilt the box can inspect & diagnose whatever while it's actually installed in the truck.
None of this internet YouTube diagnosis & never-ending e-mail convos with faceless desk jockeys citing vague small-print.
Returning the box, at the owner's expense.
...and then...
Waiting...
Waiting...
Waiting...
Meanwhile, the truck's still down!

BombSquidd

Reaction score
This is why I deal with a local rebuilder.
Small two-man old fart shop. Imports to Reefers.
They'll build them pretty well to any ratio. Within reason, of course.
Both mine have/had the SS quick ratio. Same price as a regular rebuild.
This is probably gonna seem like a real dumb question, but what do I need to type into the Google machine to show me shops like that? I can never seem to sort past the big name stores/shops/service centers in order to find the Godfathers or Gurus of automotive repair. Thanks.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I work on mostly custom vehicles. HotRods, showcars & muscle cars. Many of those guys are old school builders from the '60's/'70's.
I found the shop I use through their recommendations.

I googled this, 'power steering gearbox rebuilders - Kansas.'
Read the reviews. Some may even have what you need in stock. They'd probably want a core-charge if they do.
But not being familiar with where you live, all I can suggest ask around.
Buddies, car shows, local Friday night cruise-ins, Coffee-n-Cars.
Could try asking the local parts vendor, but more than likely you'll have to talk to the resident old fart.
Some of the kids behind the counter don't have much practical experience beyond a keyboard.

All three of the local rebuilders I know of are in industrial areas. Close to to the big rig repair shops. They might have a lead to where they get their boxes rebuilt.

Chuckm505

Reaction score
Just found that the loose steering on my truck was caused by the Rag or steering coupler.
Thought it was air bound from the engine swap and was trying to get the air out.
You can see the coupling moving but not the box input shaft
Sometimes it is just the easiest thing causing the problem
Found a new one on Amazon for 20, maybe I will get the Jeep one next for the better joint.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just found that the loose steering on my truck was caused by the Rag or steering coupler.
Thought it was air bound from the engine swap and was trying to get the air out.
You can see the coupling moving but not the box input shaft
Sometimes it is just the easiest thing causing the problem
Found a new one on Amazon for 20, maybe I will get the Jeep one next for the better joint.
Really no reason to opt for the Jeep joint if it is for daily driving (i.e., you're not racing it or going off-road). Lares 205 should suffice and last a long time.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really no reason to opt for the Jeep joint if it is for daily driving (i.e., you're not racing it or going off-road). Lares 205 should suffice and last a long time.
I should note I put in Lares 205 last year - it took an inch or so of play out! I'm still not what I would consider "highway safe" until I sort out the gearbox though. It is sketchy trying to keep this thing going straight down the road.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update - was able to get in contact with Bluetop and they are providing a return label to send it back and have them inspect it. The customer service was timely so I am optimistic they will be able to help. Maybe this is simply a quality control issue due to high demand. I had to put the old box back in the truck since it's my only vehicle, and also so the Bluetop is ready to ship ASAP.

In the meantime I have ordered new power steering lines, and I will probably inspect the pump by removing the serpentine belt and seeing how easily it spins by hand! If all else fails, do you folks know of quality replacement pumps, either new or reman?