First and Last Bluetop Steering Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a suspension thread for the 2wd trucks so I threw it here. So I am going on the 3rd steering box I'm about to put in this truck and am pulling my hair out. When I bought it the original had so much play and the fluid was black and burnt smelling. Replaced with a cheap BBB reman from Rockauto and the play was slightly improved, but very hard to steer - little to no power steering assist. I suppose it could be my reman pump for the poor assist but I couldn't trust the stock unit as it squealed bad, had dirty fluid of course, and the shaft did not spin in true whatsoever - I'm talking the pulley was shaking back and forth like a cheap Walmart bicycle tire.

Fast forward to this week and I just rebuilt my whole front end and put in a Bluetop box - I made sure to follow the bleeding procedure they gave me in the shipping box, and got all the air bubbles out of the fluid from what I could tell. Welp, more play in the wheel than either of my previous boxes and the assist sucks! I was just a short drive from my grandmother's where I was working on it to my place but it felt so dangerously loose from the 3-4 inches of play in the wheel. I have verified it is the box - I can see the column turn the input shaft significantly each way while the pitman arm does not rotate - video attached below. If you watch closely in the video there is also side-to-side slop in the output shaft which you can see in the pitman. Once you get the steering moving past the play area it feels safe but it's almost undriveable within the couple degrees of play.

BTW - between the time periods of the BBB and Bluetop I had the motor replaced and the guy put on what looks like a stock pump from the donor motor so I trust it more than the cheap old reman I had before - and it's clearly working because there is SOME power assist, just not enough to be comfortable and not get a workout. Any ideas? Thinking about trying a Redhead next and if that doesn't solve my problem I'm going to take the loss and probably learn how to rebuild a box myself, CORRECTLY. I'm a bit disappointed because I've heard such good things about Bluetop.

Pitman Arm Video

LA2SD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know you said you followed the instructions, but did you flush the PSP before connecting any hoses? Regardless, I wouldn't trust a used PSP from a donor motor without testing it.

I installed a blue top earlier this year when I rebuilt the front end on my 2WD OBS. Aside from the steering feeling abnormally tight because of all the new components, it works great.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know you said you followed the instructions, but did you flush the PSP before connecting any hoses? Regardless, I wouldn't trust a used PSP from a donor motor without testing it.

I installed a blue top earlier this year when I rebuilt the front end on my 2WD OBS. Aside from the steering feeling abnormally tight because of all the new components, it works great.

The pump has nothing to do with slop caused by the steering box. The output looks like it moves around like it's not even in there tight!

LCALDERA98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a suspension thread for the 2wd trucks so I threw it here. So I am going on the 3rd steering box I'm about to put in this truck and am pulling my hair out. When I bought it the original had so much play and the fluid was black and burnt smelling. Replaced with a cheap BBB reman from Rockauto and the play was slightly improved, but very hard to steer - little to no power steering assist. I suppose it could be my reman pump for the poor assist but I couldn't trust the stock unit as it squealed bad, had dirty fluid of course, and the shaft did not spin in true whatsoever - I'm talking the pulley was shaking back and forth like a cheap Walmart bicycle tire.

Fast forward to this week and I just rebuilt my whole front end and put in a Bluetop box - I made sure to follow the bleeding procedure they gave me in the shipping box, and got all the air bubbles out of the fluid from what I could tell. Welp, more play in the wheel than either of my previous boxes and the assist sucks! I was just a short drive from my grandmother's where I was working on it to my place but it felt so dangerously loose from the 3-4 inches of play in the wheel. I have verified it is the box - I can see the column turn the input shaft significantly each way while the pitman arm does not rotate - video attached below. If you watch closely in the video there is also side-to-side slop in the output shaft which you can see in the pitman. Once you get the steering moving past the play area it feels safe but it's almost undriveable within the couple degrees of play.

BTW - between the time periods of the BBB and Bluetop I had the motor replaced and the guy put on what looks like a stock pump from the donor motor so I trust it more than the cheap old reman I had before - and it's clearly working because there is SOME power assist, just not enough to be comfortable and not get a workout. Any ideas? Thinking about trying a Redhead next and if that doesn't solve my problem I'm going to take the loss and probably learn how to rebuild a box myself, CORRECTLY. I'm a bit disappointed because I've heard such good things about Bluetop.

Pitman Arm Video
i got a redbox and i installed it 2 weeks ago and have no issues i also replaced everything with my front end

LCALDERA98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i got a redbox and i installed it 2 weeks ago and have no issues i also replaced everything with my front end
i replaced my psp with one from oreillys i got my by pass kit from GM i replaced my high pressure line with one from GM 4 O-RINGS from GM i cleaned up my return line and i installed the red box new pitman arm idler arm & bracket new center link and new inner & outer tie rods new sway bar and new sway bar bushing and links new cv axle just need new control arms and ball joints but it steers good

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just rebuilt my whole front end and put in a Bluetop box - I made sure to follow the bleeding procedure they gave me in the shipping box, and got all the air bubbles out of the fluid from what I could tell. Welp, more play in the wheel than either of my previous boxes and the assist sucks!... ...I have verified it is the box - I can see the column turn the input shaft significantly each way while the pitman arm does not rotate
Contact BlueTop, see what they're willing to do for you.

LA2SD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pump has nothing to do with slop caused by the steering box. The output looks like it moves around like it's not even in there tight!

I just saw the vid, and yeah, something ain't right. Looks like a lot of lateral freeplay on the output shaft too. Did you get the box directly from Blue Top?

Last edited:

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, and found someone put ATF in. I kept flushing until it came out the color of my new (regular old) steering fluid.

I just saw the vid, and yeah, something ain't right. Looks like a lot of lateral freeplay on the output shaft too. Did you get the box directly from Blue Top?
I did, right from their website. And I hear adjusting the set screw on top (over-center) will void the warranty so I don't even want to attempt it, nor do I think I should have to?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, and found someone put ATF in. I kept flushing until it came out the color of my new (regular old) steering fluid.

I did, right from their website. And I hear adjusting the set screw on top (over-center) will void the warranty so I don't even want to attempt it, nor do I think I should have to?

Nope. Those adjustments are set on the bench, so there should be zero need to touch it on the vehicle.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could it be something to do with the lines? Clogged/pinched? A lack of steering assist to me sounds like something isn't getting pressure.

I'll contact Bluetop and see what I can do. Looking at Redhead next.