Finally got another G-Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
For any of ypu who dont have me on facebook or instagram, i had a 1979 Malibu 2 door rolling chassis awhile back. Quite a bit of body rot, but i eanted to throw in a 5.3. Well i ended up selling it doubling my money. And it left quite a hole in my soul. (First pic)

Well flash forward a year and a half, and my buddy mentioned his co-worker had a old malibu of the 80s vintage. Said it was sitting in some grass, and he made a deal for that and a rotted squarebody for a lawnmower. With how the truck looked, i had very low expectations on the malibus condition. Second photo is how i first saw it.

Well i got down on the ground and checked out the frame. By holy hell its solid! Rear rails, front and side rails all looked good. Floor good except one spot in the trunk. So i traded my buddy some old tools i never used for the car.

Here's what i know about it:
1983 Malibu base
3.8 V6 2 barrel carb
No A/C
Automatic

Last on the road in 2013
The guy the car came from drove it after his dad daily'ed it. His father got it when he worked at a salvage yard and it was brought in for scrap. Infact the title i recived is the one that was turned into the scrap yard. The issue date on the title is 1998. I did find the owner that's name is on the title on facebook. I may or may not get ahold of him to get more history on the car.

This past Sunday i drug it up and gave it a good bath. Next up is to stick the ozone machine in to kill anything living in it (mold, mice ect) vaccum and deep clean the seats and carpet.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Soooooo heres the plans so far. I have 2 options. And one so far in left feild.

Option 1:
Free up the 3.8, rebuild the carb and tune it up, freah fuel and if it runs good enough, slap tires on and run er as is for now and a cruiser.

Option 2:
Ratty sleeper 4 door with either 5.3 or vortec 350 power. Both engines would be stock for the time being so i dont blow up the rear end.

Option 3:
Take the 355 out of the green *******, and put that in the malibu and put the 5.3 in the truck.

Option 3 is the far least likely to happen for sure, but never know.

XJPhoenix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice!

I had a 1980 Malibu Classic 2-door with the 4.4 V8 and the 3-speed automatic. I can't remember the cubic inches on it, but I do remember it was fairly gutless. Mind you, the car I had before that one was an 86 Chevette that was more gutless. I loved that Malibu... Slapped a set of true dual exhaust on it and man did it sound nice. I had to replace the rear frame rails, so you finding one with a solid frame is pretty cool.

I look forward to seeing what you do with this one!

:)

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
I will be going out this weekend to see if i can free up the engine and make it run on a bottle. And thanks guys, I'm really excited about this project!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can't believe it cleaned up that well. That looks more like a Caprice than a Malibu, it's huge. Did they become one and the same at some point?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock rear will be fine. I had a 79 factory 4-speed, stock rear with 3.42 posi, (changed from 3.08) and a nice 454. 295/50s out back, would leave some nice black marks. Miss that car....

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Stock rear will be fine. I had a 79 factory 4-speed, stock rear with 3.42 posi, (changed from 3.08) and a nice 454. 295/50s out back, would leave some nice black marks. Miss that car....

As long as you don't let it hook.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Went out ans started to figure out the no crank issue. Started by taking the belt off the alternator (Fine) then power steering (fine) and last but not least the smog pump. Winner winner. At that point i decided to throw the battery in and see what happend. Alot of clicking. So i beat on the starter with my big half inch ratchet, hit the key again and it apun over! Then i checked spark, have damn good spark. The starter wasn't happy trying to spin the engine over. So im in the process of changine that over right now.