Fifth Wheel Hitch Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
I have a 1998 Chevrolet K3500 5.7 SRW CCLB. My truck does well pulling the trailers I pull. It's steady and handles well, but that's greatly in part to all the new front end parts, new 285/70R17E tires, and Bilstein shocks on there. I've never had to think about fifth wheels and now I'm about to. MY grandpa's fifth wheel RV is about to be passed down to me. My truck currently has a gooseneck hitch, but I'd like to install a fifth wheel hitch and rails in the bed, as well. Can anyone help me out on a specific product? It's hard finding a fifth wheel kit that fits my truck. Thanks in advance.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's hard finding a fifth wheel kit that fits my truck.
How so? Any particular reason why a universal rail kit (like the Reese 30035) wouldn't work? And it's a long bed, so you shouldn't even need a slider hitch.

Trenton

Reaction score
How so? Any particular reason why a universal rail kit (like the Reese 30035) wouldn't work? And it's a long bed, so you shouldn't even need a slider hitch.

After doing some more research, I realized the fifth wheel rails are designed for all the trucks. I thought rails were made for specific brands and trucks. I was confused, because websites didn't say they'd fit my truck. So would Curt Universal rails fit my truck?

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What type of gooseneck hitch do u have. In my diesel I had the turn over gooseneck for hauling cattle trailers then when I bought a 5th I used the B&W companion sliding hitch. Depending if u have that turn over style if not. You could always use an adapter to haul the 5th with the gooseneck ball.

Trenton

Reaction score
What type of gooseneck hitch do u have. In my diesel I had the turn over gooseneck for hauling cattle trailers then when I bought a 5th I used the B&W companion sliding hitch. Depending if u have that turn over style if not. You could always use an adapter to haul the 5th with the gooseneck ball.

See I thought about that, but I heard the gooseneck puts extra stress on an fifth wheel's frame, that's why they use fifth wheels. My gooseneck was welded in place; that's how I bought it. I don't think I could move it if I wanted to.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I've heard that as well but I've known ranchers who drive cross country couple times a years using an adapter. The added stress is basically just the trailer vibrating but they make adapters with some poly cushions that smooth out the ride. Like this - https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-...dmZbLTsKl9VWoOJ-ZVWmMDzpWJuR3_joaAt8bEALw_wcB

And depending on how much youd wanna spend you could find one with and airbag set up like this https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Reese/RP94622-61301.html.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The differences in rails between Curt or Reese or whatever are pretty minimal, so you can pick just about any universal kit and it should work. The brackets attach to the outboard side of the frame, so you might want to take a good look at your gooseneck and see if there's going to be any interference. I know that Reese posts their installation instructions for their rails on their website (Curt probably does too), so you can use that as a reference.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
The added stress of the gooseneck adapter is caused by extending the pivot point of the coupling. It’s like adding a cheater bar to the trailer frame.

Many fifth wheel manufacturers were voiding warranty’s if an adapter is used.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering if it had something to do with leverage. Does that mean that the "Goose Box" (2nd link in post #6 above) is just as bad as the "Convert-a-Ball" adapter? The Goose Box looks like it would be a more proper conversion, but ultimately you're still extending the reach of the pin box down to the bed of the truck. Seems like there would be a similar effect on the trailer's frame regardless of which method was used.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I was wondering if it had something to do with leverage. Does that mean that the "Goose Box" (2nd link in post #6 above) is just as bad as the "Convert-a-Ball" adapter? The Goose Box looks like it would be a more proper conversion, but ultimately you're still extending the reach of the pin box down to the bed of the truck. Seems like there would be a similar effect on the trailer's frame regardless of which method was used.
I have no personal experience with a goosebox but have heard they are an improvement over the standard convert a ball. I agree though. It is still moving the pivot point the manufacturer intended.