Feels slow even after rebuild and rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck shows 22-24dg timing at idle. 98 5.7 Silverado. Is that normal?
My '98 factory service manual shows timing should be around 21dg at idle at operating temp.
I'm having the same exact issue with my Yukon, and I can't figure it out. It was slow, I rebuilt the engine, its still slow. Slower than your truck I think.
I also have a somewhat rough idle. It's not misfire rough, it just stumbles a little. It should be smoother.
It runs great otherwise, it just doesn't make the power it should.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No, should be @ 0 deg. @ idle. Timing needs to be set for one thing

If you monitor your data then yes, 20 or so degrees at idle is normal. When you set it to zero on a TBI, you're setting it locked. After setting, you then unlock and the PCM can regain control of the timing.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also free flowing exhaust will help. Free flowing cats, headers, and free flowing muflers (NOT Flowmasters). A muffler you can see straight through before installed.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you monitor your data then yes, 20 or so degrees at idle is normal. When you set it to zero on a TBI, you're setting it locked. After setting, you then unlock and the PCM can regain control of the timing.
Yea, I corrected my post, thats 0 @ about 1000 RPMs

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also this is not a TBI, it a CPI Vortec. This has a total different timing than a TBI. TBIs are OBD I and Vortecs are OBD II

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno what the hell y'all are talking about but it says right here in the 98 service manual that ignition timing on the 5.7l should be around 21dg at idle.
You must be registered for see images attach

Link if you want to download the manual. You should. It's very useful.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Kenny was talking about the cam crank correlation, AKA CMPRET. The only thing that's set by twisting the distributor which, on a Vortec, has no effect on timing. 21 degrees advance at idle sounds right.