Favorite cheap tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MILLCMACK

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Electrical tape and peel and stick aluminum tape.
Whenever you have a situation where your socket pops off or gets stuck?
Wrap it tight too the extension with electrical tape.
Reaching into a spot in the frame and the socket drops off and rolls down?
Tape the whole thing top to bottom.
Loose fit on a bolt or too sloppy or you need to hang a socket or wrench in place
Peel and stick aluminum tape.
Takes up the slack.
Using an 12 mm 6 point wrench stuffed upside down into a 21 mm impact socket while trying to pull the knock sensor out of a 2003 nissan sentra?
Put the wrench in the impact socket and pack the voids with tin foil.
Smash the tin foil in with a punch untill it holds the wrench in place.
Turns a ten hour job into a ten minute job
Some times ya just gotta make it up as you go.
Expensive tools are great to have.
They can make life easier.
But making something from the junk you have laying around and cobbling it together and having it work is very satisfying.
It may be wrong, it may be half assed, The experts may pee themselves,
But it works.
growing up with farm trucks bailing twine, fence wire and electrical tape were common fixes for many aliments. "its not really broken if you fix it"

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Figured I'd contribute my most recent favorite here. This was actually a gift from my cousin.

www.amazon.com/Olight-I3T-EOS-Lumens-Dual-Output/dp/B07DLRK7Q5

It's a little tiny single AAA flashlight from Olight. I carry quite a bit of stuff in my pockets on a daily basis but up until this thing I never thought of carrying a flashlight. It's so small that I never even know it's clipped into my pocket, it's super handy, and the bright mode is BRIGHT! I have to say it's really nice not to have to pull out my cell phone and fumble with the menus any time I need a quick blast of light.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Figured I'd contribute my most recent favorite here. This was actually a gift from my cousin.

www.amazon.com/Olight-I3T-EOS-Lumens-Dual-Output/dp/B07DLRK7Q5

It's a little tiny single AAA flashlight from Olight. I carry quite a bit of stuff in my pockets on a daily basis but up until this thing I never thought of carrying a flashlight. It's so small that I never even know it's clipped into my pocket, it's super handy, and the bright mode is BRIGHT! I have to say it's really nice not to have to pull out my cell phone and fumble with the menus any time I need a quick blast of light.
You can't beat a good flashlight.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
growing up with farm trucks bailing twine, fence wire and electrical tape were common fixes for many aliments. "its not really broken if you fix it"
As a joke, Me and a good friend of mine had some hats and cards made.
AST
Advanced Stick Technology.
He was the vice presedent in charge of adhesive development.
I was the vice president of alternate forrest product usage.
He put it on the net as a joke.
Two weeks later the sales calls started.
It was absurdly funny.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can't beat a good flashlight.

Agreed. I always keep one in the trucks but I can't believe I've never just carried one on me before. Apparently my cousin has been carrying this model for a few years now. He says the only downside is that in "bright" mode a standard AAA battery only lasts about 20 minutes. He gets around a month out of one battery for standard daily use though, the normal mode is fine for most stuff.

Another cool feature is the double sided clip, you can face the light either way when it's clipped to something. You can clip it to the bill of a hat facing out and it makes a decent headlamp.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I like the composite ratchets from harbor freight. They're cheap, work well for many jobs and dont get hot or cold like chrome.